Chapter 6

Authors Note: I DO NOT, in any way condone violence. This scene was written to show the trials and tribulations certain women face.

The Wrong One 

A loud thud echoed around the room as Kayana was flung towards the opposing wall.

"You will not talk about that boy again Kayana, I have told you, you are the honour of this family,." Ryda took a menacing step forward towards his cowering daughter, who lay slumped on the floor holding her hand to her struck cheek. "I will not let you tarnish this family's good name!" He roared over his wife's pitiful pleas at begging him to stop.

"Pita ji, I love him." She whispered quietly. She was tired. Tired of always being pushed around and thinking of her culture before all else. She had always acted to keep everyone happy, but when had anyone thought of her happiness? When was the last time she well and truly smiled? And wasn't afraid 

With Raian her heart whispered to her. Kayana's resolve was strong. She wanted, no, needed Raian. How could her father lie to Ionido ji and Raian?

Ryda had begun to turn around to stalk out of the room but stopped mid stride hearing heard Kayana's confession.  

"No you don't." He simply said with a tone of finality, without turning back around.

"Pita ji-"

"NO YOU DON'T!" His fists closed tightly, the skin stretching to a white over his knuckles, his fingernails surely leaving  crescent shaped marks on his palm. He raised his arm to strike her once again for her callow behavior when Kayana kneling in front of him, her hands placed together as if in prayer as her head tilted up to look into her father's eyes.

"Please Pita ji! You told him a year! You said yes!" Sobs racked her body as she continued pleading. "Pita ji please! I love him! Please!"

Somewhere during this, the scarf around Kayana's head had fallen, but Kayana was too far gone to notice.

Ryda's eyes softened internally as he looked at Kayana. His dear, sweet Kayana. His child and the honour of his family. How could he have let this go on for so long? When he first found out about Kayana and Raian he had wanted to put a stop to it at once, but Kenta had asked him to wait, to allow their daughter a sense of freedom before the undoubted imprisonment in the form of the holy bonding they called marriage. He regretted that decision. He should have stopped this when he had the chance. But now, he had no other choice. This was for the best. Ryda's eyes hardened again as he gazed at the tears falling from Kayana's eyes.

"You will marry Vodia. You will learn to love him and you will be happy." And with that, Ryda left the room, leaving his wife to pick up the pieces of his broken girl.

Kenta lowered herself gently beside Kayana as she watched her heart break in two.  

"Beti, shh, it will all be alright." And that's all it took for Kayana to lean into her mother and let out all her anger and frustration 

At the end, tears streamed down Kayana's face in rapid succession but no voice came out as Kenta held her baby 

Kayana was no longer wailing or thinking but was simply crying. She cried for what she thought could have been.