Chapter 9

The Wrong One

 The next morning, Kayana was up before the sun. Walking around the bed, she swept her hands over the duvet, hoping to flatten the slight bumps in the cover. Her mind wandered to the night before. Vodia hadn't come back to the room. 

Kayana laid waiting on the bed for him to come back from the bathroom, the only source of light within the room was the ray of moonlight that had somehow weaved it's way inside through the closed the curtains. It had shone in the spot that Vodia had droppped the letter. Raian's letter. 

Shaking her head, Kayana continued placing the pillows back on the bed. 

Her wedding night had not gone as planned. 

Given that she never wanted Vodia to find out about the letter, it was better that he found out now, rather than later. 

A thought struck at Kayana, forcing her to sit down at the edge of the bed, her gown still falling around her. She lay a hand on the round post, her eyes widening. 
What if Vodia had called her parents? Her father? And told him of this letter? 

Bringing a hand up to her face, she covered her mouth. What if he was just going to return her to her parent’s house? That would be like a slap to the face for her father. 

Standing up abruptly and turning to neaten out the corner she was seated on, the door behind her opened. 

Immediately a masculine smell enveloped the room causing Kayana to still. 

Footsteps stepped inside, and she heard the click of the door closing. Turning around slowly, she came face to face with a fully dressed Vodia, buttoning his cufflinks and looking over her head to the still closed curtains. Taking long strides he reached both his arms out and pushed the covers back.

Sunlight streamed into the room and accentuated Vodia’s expressionless face as he looked at her. 

Wearing a light blue shirt tucked into black khakis, Vodia looked very much like the businessman her mother had told Kayana about. 

Looking at him cautiously, Kayana walked towards him, her hands out stretched towards his tie. Seeing him not flinch, Kayana continued to do his tie for him, never looking up towards his eyes. 

Once she was done, she stepped back, silence reigning in the room. 

She felt, rather than saw Vodia move forward, his right hand going behind her to touch her hair. He slid his hand down the length of it, stopping at the bottom, his hand resting just above her waist. 

Her breath caught in her throat as she became aware that she hadn’t even brushed her teeth yet. 

Leaning down, Vodia whispered in her ear. 

“I’m glad you’re not wearing your scarf.”

And with that, he removed his arm and walked around her to the bathroom. 

Kayana stood motionless, her heart beating rapidly, her breath still caught. 

Her waist still tingled from where his arm had been, and she remained unmoving as she continuously heard his words in her mind. ‘I’m glad you’re not wearing your scarf. 

She wasn’t wearing her scarf? Kayana’s eyes widened as realization hit her. 

Where was her scarf? She looked around the room, and saw the door to the walk-in-robe shut. 

Making her way towards the door, she heard the tap in the bathroom shut off. Walking faster, she opened the door and closed herself inside the small closet.