Chapter 18

The Wrong One

Walking into the apartment he called home, Vodia immediately switched on the kettle, hoping the calming properties of the tea would help relieve him of his headache. 

After leaving Raian's boat house, Vodia had just driven around the town, not knowing whether or not to return home. His decision of remaining with Kayana until her birthday may not have been the smartest but he couldn't handle leaving her just yet. He wanted to know that he'd done all he could to make her happy. 

After the sun had set, Vodia knew he had no choice but to go home and also, though he didn't want to admit it, he wanted, no, needed to be near Kayana and make the most of the time he had left with her. He wouldn't tell her that he had found Raiain. He would help her continue her search, and when the three days were over, he would reunite them. 

Slamming his palms on the top of the counter, Vodia sighed. 

Rubbing his forehead with his fingers, he turned to lean against the cupboards. 

This was getting much too complicated. How he wished he could just take Kayana home, make her his and pretend this never happened. But he knew he couldn't do that to her. 

Pouring the boiled water into his cup, he stirred the tea absentmindedly. 

Turning around, he noticed Kayana standing there, leaning her head on the side of the doorway. 
Her hair was in a state of disarray and her eyes red with sleep, signifying that she had just woken up. And truthfully, she had never looked so beautiful. 

Vodia's eyes softened as he extended his cup in a silent offering. Kayana nodded, pushing off the wall to make her own cup until Vodia shook his head. He turned, grabbing another cup and going about making another. 

Once he was done, he noticed Kayana had moved to sit on the couch, her legs curled up under her as she regarded him with her large eyes. Vodia placed both cups on the table infront of them and took a seat next to her, far enough so they weren't touching, but close enough so he could reassure himself that she was still there. 

Kayana, noticing the way that Vodia sat a safe distance away, moved her body until the length of her night-dress was touching his pants. A red blush decorated her cheeks but her eyes were determined. 

Looking into Kayana's eyes, Vodia hesitantly lifted his arm, settling back as Kayana moved herself to fit into his side. He knew this would only hurt him once she left, but he couldn't help but bask in the small victory that she had finally begun to feel comfortable in his presence. The thought of Kayana retreating back into her shell, of choosing Raian over him made Vodia tighten his grip involuntarily, pulling Kayana closer into him.

His thumb traced light circles on Kayana's waist and she sighed lightly. She knew she could get used to this, she knew that she had just been being difficult and in denial. Perhaps Corin had saved her from making one of the largest mistakes of her life. If she had ran away with Raian, she would never have met Vodia. Her husband.

The term made her smile and lifted her head slightly to look up at the man she was slowly falling for. The man who wanted nothing from her except for her to be happy.

Vodia looked down at her right at that moment, and their eyes locked. Kayana tried to convey her happiness, her contentment at just staying how they were. Later, she would realise she had been trying to get Vodia to stop the search for Raian, but for now, she was happy with how they were.

Kayana's eyes dropped to his lips before she glanced back to his eyes, her lips parting slightly. She noticed that Vodia's eyes had dropped to her lips and grazed her bottom lip with her teeth. Vodia took this as an invitation and leant his down, his eyes reading Kayana's the whole time, waiting for her to pull back, or to push him away. To tell him he was doing the wrong thing. But what he saw surprised him, and he doubted the credibility of his own eyes. He saw anticipation, he could her warm breath on his face, her eyes following his every moment. The few seconds felt like minutes, and slowly, their lips met. And it was better than what Vodia had remembered. Although he had been replaying the previous one continuously he knew his memory did not give it justice.