Chapter 20

The Wrong One॥ 

The next morning Kayana woke up alone in her bed, the feeling of loneliness that settled within her shocked her as she had never before had that reaction to waking up alone.

Extending her hand to her left, she realised that that side of the bed remained untouched, a fact that brought a frown on Kayana’s face and she understood why.

It meant that Vodia hadn’t stayed with her.

What Kayana didn’t understand was why it had such a deep effect on her. She had only woken up with him once before. And it was the best morning ever, a voice inside her reminded her, but Kayana chose to pay no attention to it. She couldn’t get used to having Vodia around, especially not since she still hadn’t decided where her heart lay 

Staring at the ceiling, Kayana was appalled she hadn’t jumped out of the bed at the crack of dawn. If her parents could see her now they would be so upset. She giggled gleefully at that, Vodia had helped her become her own person 

Stretching, Kayana only just noticed the howling winds outside her window, the raindrops beating on the glass. Mesmorised, she swung her legs over the side of the bed, standing up and immediately falling backwards as a grunt sounded from below her. Looking down, she realised that Vodia hadn’t left her, he had simply been a gentleman.

Guility, Kayana took in the fact that he was still in his suit, while she was fully changed. He also seemed to have been sleeping on the ground rather than on a blanket or mattress.

Kayana didn’t know what she was doing, but she decided to do it anyway. Picking up her pillow, she threw it at Vodia’s sleeping form, his carelessness about himself frustrating her. Why must he always want the best for her, but disregarded his own wellbeing?

As she looked away, searching for another pillow, she felt a heavy weight push her down on her back, Vodia having made the effort to get up off the floor. But he didn’t seem to be awake. Slowly lying down, Vodia had Kayana laying across her bed too, half under his heavier frame, their legs tangled. Due to their position, Kayana was higher up than Vodia, and his head only reached her neck. Cuddling closer, Vodia wrapped his arm around her waist and pulled her to him, rubbing his nose on her neck which only served to tickle Kayana, his stubble with the same purpose on her exposed shoulder.

Kayana froze. But not for the reasons she thought it would be. Infact, Kayana found that she thoroughly enjoyed the new position she was in. It seemed that she had simply frozen out of habit rather than need. Willing herself to calm down, she slowly curled into Vodia, one of her hands coming up to rest on his shoulder, her fingers reaching into the hair at the nape of his neck. She knew she must look a sight, but she didn’t want to move. She didn’t care about propriety at the moment. This man was her husband 

And at that moment, something clicked.

Kayana finally knew.

Empowered by her epiphany, Kayana laughed merrily, leaning down, she lifted Vodia’s face up to hers, surprising him by a kiss instigated by her. Kayana felt Vodia move along with her, his body truly awake. He shifted himself up so he was at same height as Kayana, and rolled onto his back so that Kayana lay on top of him. Kayana’s hands shifted, both going inbetween them, but she was far from pushing him away. Instead, Kayana grabbed his shirt, the material scrunching between her fingers. She knew.

Laying his head back down, Vodia pulled Kayana with him, her forehead resting on his own.

“Goodmorning Sweetheart.” He murmured, his eyes still closed for fear of all this being a dream.