Chapter 5

The Wrong One

 It was a wonderful day when the Nalad and the Drewett family met. 

Seated outside at the Drewett’s residence, the sun bathed them all in a golden hue, the wind ruffled the leaves of the flora around the families, while the green beach umbrella provided shade. Tea and snacks were served in the spacious backyard as all the members conversed. 

Though the atmosphere was warm, the ladies all wore their scarves about their heads, opting for pastel colours on this bright day. Caterina and Kenta wore long dresses, sheltering their sensitive skin from the sun, but with enough room to move around should they wish to stroll, where Corin and Kayana wore skirts that were calf length insinuating their ever present respect for the men. 
The males all wore dress pants and a shirt with the sleeves rolled. Though this was a friendly gathering, both families were respectably dressed as though they were leaving for a black tie event.

Ionido Nalad sat quietly, thinking to himself about how to approach this situation. If he let slip about what had happened the day before, Ryda may never forgive him, destroying his sons chance for happiness as well as their decade long friendship. 
Exhaling loudly, he stretched his legs. This should be interesting. 

“Ionido, what are you thinking about so intently?”

Startled, he looked over at Ryda, who was smiling back at him expectantly. 
His eyes roamed and he saw his wife, Caterina sitting with Kenta whilst Corin and Kayana checked to see if everyone had enough refills. Glancing to his left, he saw Raian speaking to the gardener.

Clearing his throat he looked back to Ryda, settling a smile upon his face. 
“Yes, well, there is something I’ve been wanting to speak to you about,” looking towards his son again, he spoke, “Beta Raian? Would you mind taking the girls for a walk around the garden?”
“Ofcourse pita ji” His son replied, never questioning while making his way towards where the girls were standing attentively. 

A quick glance at Kayana showed Ionido her nervousness and he smiled and nodded reassuringly at her. 
Extending his hand, Raian allowed Corin then Kayana to walk past him. Ducking his head, he followed after them as he realized what his father was about to do. 

Settling back into his chair, Ryda crossed one leg over the other and laced his fingers atop his knee. 
“Yes Ionido?”

Leaning forward, Ionido sighed and scratched his chin. 

“I have been thinking about this a lot my brother, and I believe now is the time to voice my thoughts”
Glancing up at Ryda, Ionido saw no change in his posture. Good sign. 

Clearing his throat again, he began, “I’ve always treated Kayana as my daughter and I would give my life for her. She has been a great friend and sister to Corin,” Breathing in, he said a quick mental prayer, “I would like to change that bond into a relation.”
Finally looking up, Ionido saw Ryda’s amused expression. What? 
“I would like for Kayana to be my daughter-in-law, a sister-in-law to Corin and a wife to Raian.”

“No.”

Startled, Ionido glanced towards his wife and Kenta, who both sat in their seats with their mouths open, their backs ramrod straight in disbelief and shock. 
“What? Why?” He exclaimed, sitting straight up. 
How could he deny this? He knew he was lower in social ranking, but with him, Kayana was ensured a future filled with love. 

“Don’t think Ionido, that I don’t know what has been happening,” Picking up his cup of tea, he brought it up to his lips, “I know exactly why you want this marriage so bad, but I have a better proposition for you.” Taking a sip he settled his cup back down. “Call Raian.” He called out to no one particular, but someone would hear.