Chapter 2

( Mata ji - Mother
Pita ji - Father

Beti - Daughter 
Beta - Son )

The Wrong One॥ 

Walking into the cream decorated living room, hand in hand with Corin, Kayana came to a gentle stop infront of her seated parents. The room was fully furnished with a three piece lounge suit, a sweet chocolate brown colour, that contrasted with the off-white carpet and the beige curtains. Tilting her head upwards, Kayana felt the light spring breeze entering through the open windows, bringing with it the dewy smell of grass and the sounds of peace.

"Mata ji, Pita ji, Goodmorning." Kayana spoke softly.

"Goodmorning beti." Her parents chorused back.

Walking forward, she knelt on the floor infront of the glass coffee table that was laden with early morning snacks, Kayana gently nodded her head towards Corin, who also knelt beside her. Together, the girls set out the food and tea infront of Kenta and Ryda Drewett, then stepped back.

Kayana glanced towards the woman who had always made time for her. A chubby woman with slight crow's feet that lined the corners of her eyes. Her mother's green orbs twinkled as she eyed the food on the table subtley. A laugh bubbled within Kayana, she knew that look. As her mother flicked her slightly greying black hair over her shoulder, nudging herself towards her prize, Kayana also leaned forward, picking up the dish which her mother had been gazing at.

Kenta Drewett looked up towards her daughter, a small smile forming on her lips. They had taught her well. She would become a wonderful wife one day to the man that her father would choose. An old tradition, she knew, but a tradition it was. A tradition that would be followed. To not would be a disgrace, a shame to the Drewett family, and as his wife, she would not, could not let that happen. And these very thoughts she had tried to instill into Kayana. Her families honour was everything, and nothing would get in it's way.

"Yes Kayana?" Ryda's deep voice resounded, as he looked up from his morning newspaper to glance towards his daughter. 

"Pita ji, may I please go to Corin's house to help her bake? It is Aunt Caterina's birthday soon, and she would like to practice." She replied, her voice airy, no tone of command nor eagerness present. A simple request.

Looking towards his wife, Ryda touched the side of his fully gray hair, his fingers then travelled down to his rough beard, which he itched distractedly. His brown eyes flicked towards Corin, who  lowered her gaze and dipped her head slightly at him, a sign. 

"You may go Kayana, but remember my words." His voice boomed in the quiet atmosphere, before he went back to reading his paper.

Kenta looked at Kayana, pity swimming in her eyes, but just like that, it was gone, her resolve was strong. She'd only want the best for her daughter, and she knew that her father also had his daughters interest in mind. 

"Call your father at two, he will pick you up beti. Drive safely." Kayana's mother said as she dismissed the two girls.

Kayana nodded, bowing slightly, then turned and followed Corin outside the house. 
Stepping outside, she took a deep breath. She was free. For a little while, but she was. She felt trapped where she was, locked like a bird in an aviary. She wanted, needed to be free, but she couldn't do that. She had a duty. She only hoped as she respectd her parents wishes, they'd respect hers. 

Getting into Corins beat up yellow Tiida, Kayana locked her seatbelt into place. While waiting for Corin to get ready, sort her mirrors, and pray, Kayana's eyes strayed towards her three story house. 

Made of red brick, the house had three pillars of strong schist, the colour of dark volcanic rock. The house itself looked like something out of a mystery movie, oddly well-kept yet with a dark presence. There were many rooms in the house, but only two of the four master bedrooms were in use. The others came in handy when family visited. A long, cemented driveway led up to it, lights littered the sides of the drive, hidden in the long leaves of the palm trees. A pool on the right side was hidden, so well, that no one would know it was even there, if they weren't told. But she never got to swim in it.

Kayana sighed. Many said that she was lucky, that she had nothing to complain about. Kayana agreed that she was lucky, but no one but her and Corin knew about the restrictions she was placed under.

Restrictions she ignored often.

Looking at Corin, a small giggle escaped her.
She was going to see Raian.

Corin glanced towards Kayana as she heard the surprising giggle. 
"What?" She questioned, smiling.

"Raian." Kayana said simply.

Shaking her head, still smiling, Corin began to reverse out of her driveway.

Glancing back upwards towards the second floor of the house, she saw her parents standing, watching the two. And as she met eyes with her father, Kayana remembered his words.

You are our only child Kayana, you have the power to make or break this family. You know what is expected of you, and in your trust we believe. The day you betray us, is the day we are no longer joined. Neither by name nor bond.

The Wrong One॥