Meant to Be

The next day, I sat on a barstool behind the counter at the bookstore, sipping a dirty chai. Alastor sat beside me, his own coffee in hand, as he watched our involuntary cleanup crew.

Instead of outright killing Justin and Barley and broadcasting the carnage, I had convinced Alastor that a better punishment was for them to right their wrongs. So instead of being strewn in bits across the nine circles, the two HellTubers were now cleaning up the mess they had created. 

"Not my usual cup of tea," Alastor mused, "But it does have a certain kind of style."

"Think of it as psychological torture," I replied with a smile. The Radio Demon beside me laughed, watching to make sure our clean up crew stayed on task. 

Reaching out, Alastor took my hand in his, "They won't dare touch this store again." I nodded in agreement, squeezing his hand gratefully. 

Thanks to Alastor, I had found a job I enjoyed. I had found someone who made my existence in Hell so much more than an eternity of drudgery and pain. I looked over at the most notorious demon sitting next to me, a Cheshire grin stretching across his face. I felt my heart swell with affection for this man. 

Maybe, just maybe, I had found the place I was meant to be.