Short Story

Hi :)
I'm sorry this isn't an update but I'm halfway down with writing! It should be up tomorrow or Saturday night I promise.

I actually need help from you all.

Every year, for my cyber school, I write a short story for "Reflections" a book full of photography, short stories, and poems from students 6-12 grade. I've been submitting for about 4 years now and this year is the first year I actually like what I wrote up.

I was hoping to get your opinion on it all? :)

It's called "Paperclips"

__

The water cascaded down my face in small droplets as my glasses filled with fog, making it almost impossible to see the world in front of my eyes.

Headphones wrapped around my ears letting the loud bass of the song travel to my heart; both thumping in sync. I had no clue how long I was walking for, but I could only guess it was long enough for loved ones to assume I was taken away by someone or rather something. Although, no one really cared enough to assume at the moment.

I had the tendency to walk away from my problems instead of facing them like I should. I’d rather adventure out in the drizzling rain and kill my eardrums with loud, angry guitars and bass drums instead of spitting out words that I would regret later on.

Every time I was placed in a situation like this, it always ended up the same; walking around the broken sidewalks internally crying to the loud ballads coming from my cellular device.

Whispers of words ran through my head as I continued on the unknown path the sidewalk was leading me on. I didn’t know where I was heading, when I would be back, or what I was even doing, but like I stated, this was better than a pointless fight that would only get me worked up.

My thoughts were interrupted as an older gentleman flew past me, his limbs moving frantically almost looking like a magnet that was picking up paper clips. They would swing in all directions, moving faster than humanly possible.

Roses were held in his hand, a few petals falling down as the harsh winds forced them off their vines. They fell to the ground only to be stepped on by the wet, muddy shoes of passing pedestrians. It was sad to see something so beautiful be brought to the ground; literally.

I watched the man keep running until he stopped abruptly in front of a woman, grinning as he handed her the bouquet. Even in the rain and fog, they seemed to be happier than ever before. They were the rainbow in a crowd full of rain clouds.

I turned around and kept walking forward, my music changing to a much softer song; one that held more emotion than the rest. My motions were stopped as I saw something on the ground in front of me, something holding the sparkle of a thousand stars. I leaned down to pick it up, noticing it was a diamond ring.

My muscles twitched, moving upwards into a soft smile as I held it in my hand, standing up slowly. I turned around to face the man once more as a feeling formed in my stomach that it belonged to him. My feelings were proven to be right as I saw him grinning on one knee, mouthing words that made the woman in front of him cry with joy.

Once he brought out a black velvet box and opened it, both their smiles faded. The box held nothing but the soft silk in which the ring once rested on.

I quickly ran down the street towards them. My throat ached as I yelled for them to wait for me, but they didn't hear over the loud sounds of rain and cars passing by. I kept running as they walked away in a sulk, heading somewhere unknown.

I had to stop at the corner of the street, a truck passing by. Time was ticking and it didn't help that the trucker traveled at the speed of a snail, although it was only for the safety of others. The rain came down harder almost like teardrops coming from the clouds. Once the truck passed by, the spot in which the couple once was now held only a shriveled rose petal on the ground.

My heart ached for them and I knew I had to find them somehow. The ring was large indicating he spent a good amount of money on it. Something so delicate and full of wealth couldn't be left on the ground for someone else to find and take away forever.

I traveled around the roads, peeking into every window of every store and diner I passed by, but each held no luck. I glanced down at the ring before snapping my heard upwards once more. I directed my path in the opposite direction, heading to the restaurant at the end of the street, L’amour, French word for love. I had figured that every man who would try to be romantic would choose a French based eatery to commit his love in.

My assumptions were right after all as I walked to the glass door, seeing the man hold up two fingers to the waiter who led them inside. I quickly walked into the restaurant and saw the man sit down, the woman kissing his cheek and heading to the direction of the ladies room.

This was perfect timing. 

I walked over to him, explaining in a near whisper that I had found the ring and found them as well. He quickly came up with a plan, thanking me and offering me money to which I refused.

I walked out of the place just as the woman came back. The man stood up as soon as she sat down, he held the ring in his hand with a goofy grin.

Once again, he got to his knee and spoke words that I couldn't hear through the glass but the woman’s tears were back. She flew into his arms and hugged him tightly, her limbs seeming to fly around him, almost like paperclips.

What did you think? Let me know please! I had to made it short, and it had to be school appropriate. I think this fit well.

Just let me know if I should send it in. Thanks guys ily and the update will be out soon! You're going to love it. (;