Lovesick (Amajiki Tamaki)

Being a hero came with dangers.

For all the anxieties that Tamaki held, you had always been proud that he'd faced them with extreme courage. You knew Mirio was an inspiration to him but you'd always believed there was a hidden strength that lay inside of him, waiting and watching for the perfect time to show itself. To prove to the world that, despite his quiet disposition, he was more than capable of being a powerful pro-hero. You had told him this over and over, on days he was down and felt like just giving up, and for that, he had been eternally grateful.

He had never thought much of his crush on you.

Of course he was attracted to you, you had a wonderful laugh and warm, kind smile and you always made time for him. Even when he could barely get a word out of his mouth because talking to you made him nervous, you would nod patiently or finish his sentence for him, waiting for confirmation that's what he was attempting to say before continuing the conversation on your end. He remembered the day you first called him your friend; his heart had almost leaped from his chest onto the ground for all to see, but he'd managed to choke it back down while poorly attempting to keep a straight face.

You were just so wonderful but was there even a chance for him? Would you ever see him the same way he saw you? Nejire had told him to be bolder, and Mirio had insisted that he was good just the way he was, but still, as the years went on nothing that implied romantic feelings had ever been mentioned on your part. He tried to cast those thoughts from his mind as your friendship was enough, more than enough, to leave him satisfied. To have you in his life made it brighter regardless of the role you played, and he'd be a fool not to recognize that.

Tamaki thought about all these things while in the hospital, after Nighteye's operation that had become quite the battle between the pro's and the Shie Hassaikai. He was in and out of consciousness, his mind drifted off to various subjects, some of which included you, but he's surprised when he opened his eyes just to see you standing beside his bed. He had stuttered out your name and shock and you'd jumped, not realizing he was awake, before greeting him.

"I couldn't stop thinking about you, so I decided to sneak in here." You smiled at him, knowing his face was heating up beneath his bandages. Thankfully the room was also rather dark, but he knew that you were very "I heard little bits and pieces about the operation. And about how you took on three of those villains all by yourself!"

"...It turned out better than I thought it would." Tamaki looked away from you, beginning to fiddle with the edge of the thin blanket on his lap. "I didn't have time to worry about dying. All I could think about was... was disappointing everyone who believed in me..."

"I'm so proud of you, Tamaki." Your words cause warmth to flood through him and he feels his body heating up again; he resists the urge to hide his face behind his blanket and glanced over towards your face, eyes widening as he sees the tears welling up in the corners of your eyes. "I'm so proud and I was so... I was so scared... No one would tell me anything and breaking in here I didn't know what I'd find and-"

"I'm okay." He stated firmly, trying to sit up straight and chase the shakiness from his voice. He may still be in pain but it was manageable, and it was nothing compared to how his heartfelt now seeing you in such a state. "I-I'm sorry... for worrying you but you don't have to anymore."

"I'm glad for that, at least. I really should go before the nurse comes back in to check on you." Tamaki didn't want you to leave him so soon but he understood that he couldn't force you to stay. He hoped you would visit again, and he considers saying that aloud to you, but he can't quite gather the courage. After all he'd been through he still found it difficult to confront his feelings for you. "Tamaki?"

"Y-Yes?" You make hand movements that confused him at first, but he realizes you're asking him to turn his head, so he does so without question. When you lean in close to him he feels his body freeze, fingers digging into the blanket as he wondered what you were up to; why did you need to be so close?

"I'll see you soon, okay? As soon as they let me." Your lips were as soft and warm as he suspected they were from the countless hours he'd looked at them in class, brushing against the side of his face that wasn't bandaged. "Rest and recover, got it?"

"I- Yes, I-" There were so many things he wanted to say to you but his brain had short-circuited the minute you'd gotten so close to him, so all he could do was watch as you slipped quietly of his room. He stared at the door where you'd just exited and realized he already missed your presence, laying back in his bed and sighing. His dreams that night would be filled with you, just you, worrying and doting and showing him the affection that he had always wanted from you.

At least he knew you wanted to visit him again.

At least he had that to satisfy his lovesick heart for now.