Worry (Toogata Mirio)

There was something wrong.

You knew that since he'd started interning under Nighteye, there would be times where he couldn't tell you things because they'd be confidential. That had never bothered you because for the most part, the stories about villains were made public; there was nothing to inquire about. But recently, there's been a problem that was clearly eating away at your boyfriends happiness. You desperately wanted to ask, but you knew he couldn't tell you.

"...Mirio?" You've been trying to get his attention for the last ten minutes but he's clearly lost in his thoughts; you finally snap your fingers in front of his face which makes him jump, but brings him back to reality.

"What's wrong?" He tilts his head but you can tell he's only half there. The situation is growing more frustrating the more neglected you feel, but you didn't want your own selfishness to get in the way of Mirio's hero career. He couldn't tell you what was wrong, so what could you do to give yourself piece of mind?

"Can you just... promise me one thing?" This manages to grab his full attention and his brows furrow, perhaps now realizing the effects his silences were having on you.

He couldn't get his mind off his failure, or Eri. He had taken the best steps he knew to keep himself and Midoriya safe, and saved Nighteye's investigation from going completely downhill. He knew he had thought on his feet and done what was right in his own eyes, but why did he still feel guilty? They had plans to save Eri, that's why the meeting had been called to begin with, but... He was more anxious for the day of the plan than he liked to admit. He had never quite felt so down about something like this before, but perhaps it had to do with Eri's age and what was being done to her- it was atrocious.

But that didn't give him the right to completely shut you out, did it?

"What do you need?" All he could do now to make up for his actions was listen to what you needed him to promise. He didn't want to let you down, you were too important to him.

"Promise that whatever you have planned for this week, this month, or anytime beyond... You'll be careful. Don't do anything stupid to save someone just because you feel compelled to!" Your arms are crossed and he can see the days of frustration that came from dealing with him being completely closed off was coming to a head. "You're an amazing hero, Mirio, but please just keep yourself safe."

"I'll try-" He can see the look on your face change from angry to sad, your eyes now downcast. There was no quick way for him to fix the situation, there was no way for him to just make you not worry about the days to come because despite not knowing any details, you had sensed the seriousness of the situation. "All I can say is that I'll try, I can't lie to you."

"I know..." He reaches over to grab both of your hands, bringing your knuckles up to his lips to kiss them.

"I'll come home to you time and time again, until you're completely sick of me!"

He musters up a bright smile, knowing that despite the conflict happening inside of him, he could always find a smile for you.