Just A Chance (Todoroki Shouto)

"Give me a chance."

But the cry fell on deaf ears.

Todoroki wasn't a cold person, he had long since come to terms with expressing his emotions comfortably, at least around those he trusted the most. But he feared what plenty of children fear, turning into their parents. If he felt he emulated his mother more, perhaps he would've had more faith in the relationship, but as it was, he was starting to feel far too much like his father. He couldn't ignore the inner nagging at him that you deserved better, that you deserved someone who didn't carry emotional baggage the size of a mountain.

It's why he had to shut you down completely.

He shakes his head, and walks away, and that's the last you see of him for weeks. Only in person, as he's still in the news, competing to be best hero and saving the day when and where he can. It stings your heart to see him, even if you want to be happy, and you can't imagine where it went wrong. You don't know what happened, why you suddenly didn't make him smile or laugh, why this heavy feeling had weighed down your heart for so long... it didn't lift when he broke up with you, instead it got heavier.

He felt alone, truly lonely, for the first time since he was a child and his mother had been initially taken from him. He felt it would be too selfish to confide in his friends, to tell them of his loneliness, considering it was self-inflicted. He had pushed, and pushed, and pushed, and he didn't know if he could ever pull you back in again. He didn't know if the relationship could be the same regardless of if he realized his mistake in ruining it or not. He couldn't even bring himself to answer your texts and calls, which were coming less and less as time went on.

"Shouto." The sound of your voice almost makes him tear up, but he bites them back, turning to face you with as blank an expression as he can muster. "You... Midoriya said he hasn't heard from you for awhile now, and I just... wanted to check in on you. Make sure you're okay."

God, he can remember why he loves you so much. Considerate, caring, even after he'd already hurt you. Didn't that just make him more like his father? Being awful towards someone who didn't deserve it?

"Stop it." You're close to him now, and he feels the sudden impulse to lean down and kiss you, but that would be another selfish action. He had told you a relationship wasn't for him, hadn't he? "You're not your father, Shouto, and we're not your parents."

"I miss you." He finally mutters, "I miss you and I don't know what to do."

"You could talk to me about what's on your mind and your worries instead of breaking up with me. That would help, I think." You let out a little humorless laugh, but you're still looking at him fondly, as though those last few weeks hadn't just happened. "What do you say? Spend the night in tonight talking?"

"...Sounds good."

Todoroki didn't know how good he would be at voicing his thoughts, but he knew he had to make up for his hasty actions to show just how he truly loved you.