Without You-Kaito Momota x Reader

Requested by Crystie1234 Thank you for the request!
Warning: Trigger warning; anxiety, attempted suicide 

This place was Hell.

From the moment you arrived, you thought this. You were shoved into this school with sixteen other students and told by some weird robot bear cubs that you had to kill each other to leave. Then when you were given the hope to escape through a tunnel, it was ripped away from you.

The people you were trapped with were nice for the most part. They all had their quirks, but you didn't mind most of them. Out of all of the people here, the one you were closest to was Kaito Momota, the Ultimate Astronaut, and honestly, that wasn't even really your choice. When you met the guy, he immediately declared you his 'sidekick' and would sit beside you every day at breakfast, lunch and dinner. He'd spend as much time during the day with you as he could. He was very eccentric, but you had to admit, being around him made you happy, as if you weren't in the middle of a life or death killing game.

Then Rantaro was killed.

Any happiness you had felt went away, and all your fears returned. You were no help in the investigation, shuffling around and flinching whenever someone even so much as accidentally looked at you. The trial didn't help things. With everyone arguing and fighting, you started to become overwhelmed until-

"This is the truth behind your lies, Kaede Akamatsu, the Ultimate Pianist." The Ultimate Detective Shuichi had come up with what seemed to be the biggest stretch ever. Kaede? A killer? How could that be? She did everything in her power to encourage everyone.

But it was the truth. Everyone voted for Kaede, and you watched with terrified eyes as one of the only people to give you hope in this place was taken from you.

Once the execution was over, you trudged back to your room slowly. This place kept getting worse and worse. You didn't know how much longer you could take it, and not even Kaito's persistence of getting you to join activities and to be more social didn't cheer you up as much any more.   

Two more class trials came and went, and each one made you feel less and less hopeful. You didn't think you'd ever get out of this place. At this point, you were barely more than a husk. You didn't feel anything. No happiness, no anger, no sadness, not even despair. 

It wasn't for anyone's lack of trying, you'll give them that. Gonta would show you butterflies and bring you pretty flowers, and while you accepted them, the most you could muster was a weak smile that looked obviously forced even to the naive Gonta. Shuichi attempted to speak to you and cheer you up, but you could only ever give one word replies. Keebo would show you different features he had, and while you found it interesting, you could only nod between each feature. Even Kokichi would do whatever he could to try to make you laugh, and wouldn't be as harsh to you as he was to others with his teasing and lies.

But the person who tried the hardest was definitely Kaito. He would go up to you and tell you awful jokes, tell you stories about his "adventures", and drag you around to places around the school in attempts get you to "loosen up" as he said.

But nothing worked.

You tried to have fun with everyone, really. But you just couldn't muster the energy or the will. The thought of "What's the point?" kept circling around in your head. 

But when Miu came to everyone and claimed to have created a safe virtual reality for everyone to escape the killing game, you felt a tinge of hope. And for the first time in weeks, you felt happy.