Fu Lian (2)

An You Lan found herself in a quandary.

She had merely wanted to avenge her sister's death.

Even though the palace had issued a message saying that Consort An had died from natural illness. An You Lan thought otherwise.

How could her healthy horseriding-loving sister just suddenly fall sick and die all in two months??

An You Lan, with her own observations of the infighting in the inner harem of her own home, was sure that her sister's death was more than just a normal sickness. It was most definitely foul play!

She had snuck into the palace and signed up as a palace maid.

With her delicate looks and her genteel gestures, the mama-in-charge had naturally assigned her to be a palace maid for the consorts.

She was supposed to be assigned to a low ranking consort called Concubine Lin.

However, it was her bad luck that she was caught meandering around the inner palace looking for clues by the head eunuch.

He, Eunuch Kong was a greedy lout who was in a bind. They did not have many dancers available for the private party among ministers so he had to look out for pretty maids to add on to the numbers.

Unfortunately, not many of these maids from common families were up to the ministers' standards despite how drunk they were.

Hence, when he went out and caught a glimpse of An You Lan, he quickly grabbed her and threatened her.

An You Lan could not do anything but to follow. Yet when she realised that she was called to do more than just serve tea and refreshments, she quickly snuck out.

Unfortunately, Eunuch Kong had noticed and had called the guards to arrest her. Her right hand was threatened to be cut off should she still run.

It was then that the mild scent of ylang ylang and jasmine appeared in the cold night air.

"Eunuch Kong. What is this unsightly commotion about in the presence of the Empress!"

A sharp voice echoed from the mama accompanying the Empress.

The Eunuch, guards and An You Lan quickly kowtowed.

Soft steps continued towards her.

An You Lan could see a red delicately embroidered shoe encrusted with pearls and detailed embroidery of pink and purple lotus flowers.

All the guilty party quickly stammered their greeting to the Empress. Eunuch Kong obviously did not expect the Empress to appear as his knees were buckling.

"And who is this yatou here?"

This gentle musical voice sealed An You Lan's fate.

***

"Xiao Lan."

A sigh that escaped from those red perfect arched lips caused You Lan's heart to tremble.

It is true of the saying that the sigh from a beauty causes the fall of cities.

Her indolent mistress was lying on the chaise wearing nothing much but comfortable soft white silk inner robes. The white shimmer of the fabric causing her pearl skin to shine further.

The thick silky black hair was coiled into a loose bun.

The beauty's eyes were unfocused and half-lidded as she lay lazily with her perfect face on one of her white porcelain hands.

Her gaze turned towards the maid who stood forward and gently curtseyed before looking out the window longingly.

"Do you know why bengong never keep any pet birds?"