Chapter 16

I walked in one step at a time. I know what will come next, either he will be happy or he will be really mad. Judging from his previous mood, he will be angry as always. He never seems to smile these days. He had turned to the cold persona again whom I rarely had seen when he came to visit back home. He was tolerable then.

"So glad, that you made it here Connell..." He stopped in the mid-sentence seeing me. He was shocked at least to say. Must been the dress, I should have chosen a different one. Or maybe it was just me, he doesn't like my face much.

"You? What are you doing..." "Looks like you weren't lying Miss Dalhart, you do know Mr. Rodriguez, so you must be the family friend?"

Christin didn't betray anything on his face. The emotionless mask he was wearing was still calm and accessing the situation as always. "See I told you that Christin knows me well," I told him. "Hmmm... I have to say looking you this relax is just surprising when just a minute ago you were frozen in fear, it looked to me that you were deathly afraid of Mr. Rodriguez here."

Christin got up and pulled me to him harshly, I almost got crushed at his rock-hard body. What is he made of? Iron? Rocks? Diamonds? No, he is not pretty enough to be made up of diamonds. "One thing I will assure you Miss Davis here is not scared of anything."

"Miss Davis? Aren't you Miss Dalhart? The girl I met at the ball?" Connell Lance asked. "Yes, I am the same one." I told him. "I am glad you brought my fiancée here; I was starting get worried about her health." "I told you to rest didn't I love? When you start listening to me?" He asked and looked at me.

"You know me I have wonderous feet, my love you cannot control them." I said smiling. 'Your fiancée?" Connell Lance asked. "Yes, she is my fiancée. I say she is a hidden gem. I am so lucky that I have find her at last. Someone who is strong enough to stand beside me."

Sometimes when he talks, I have to admit it feels so warm and mushy inside. After all who doesn't loves a little compliment?

"Connell Lance there was a reason I have called you here. I wanted to know how much work you have been done with the ship we have been building?" He asked. Mr. Rodriguez is building a ship? But why? Why he needs a ship? Doesn't he already have one before? The one we gone to Egypt on?

"The work is almost complete you can have it by next week Mr. Rodriguez" Connell Lance said. "That is what I had expected from an old friend like you. You have always come through for me Lance" Wait they are friends? This is my turn to be surprised. I thought he only have one friend and that was James. "So, shall I call you Miss Davis then?" Connell Lance asked. "How about calling me Kathy, it is what all my friends call me." I said ignoring his tightening hold.

"Ok as you insist, but looks like I have missed an opportunity. If I have been a little early maybe I could have been introducing this lady here as my fiancée" "I am sure she is much for you to handle." Mr. Rodriguez said.

"I doubt it, she will be much for me handle Mr. Rodriguez, in fact having Miss Davis is a delight to have, I have to say it will be an adventure everyday with you My lady." He kissed my hand.

I smiled; this Connell know how to impress a girl isn't it? "Are you going to stay here or are you going to take the walk back towards your humble abode." "She is here already, I think I want to spend some time alone with my fiancée, discussing the wedding arrangements seeing what she wants for her big day. You should always keep your woman happy."

Is he the Mr. Rodriguez I know? Or someone just replaced him?

"That is true in every way. So then, I shall take my leave. And my lady you can write to me whenever you want to, specially you want to take some time off this hot-headed man of yours." I felt a smile creeping up. He was in a tough position where he cannot let his emotionless cold mask slip. But he cannot let his friend take his chances to impress the girl he is about to marry.