Chapter 3

The box was still tightly secured in my hands. It was heavy. I wonder what he had put inside. I was too tempted to open the box. But I am more tempted to know what business that wretched Connell had in here with my Stepmother. If it knew better, I would say she is conspiring against me and my father. And that certainly is not a good thing. No, it is not.

I walked inside my father's study and was surprised to find it open. He never ever kept it unlocked. Because it is just that, it contain all his important documents and papers. He never even almost let me in. But the only other key that ever open this mystery was with me. As the heir to his almost every property, he had entrusted me with the key.

I examined the door and sure enough it was forced open. Why? Why someone wants to forcefully open the door, until and unless they are looking for something. Something of true value. A treasure. I wonder what treasure it might be that is so important to her. Yes, no one else other than my wicked stepmother could have done this treachery. She is capable of doing all these things for herself.

I saw a letter on the desk half open as if someone left it in hurry. Probably they did. I picked it up and as I begin to read it my blood turned cold. Each word was horrifying and each word was something I needed against my stepmother to charge her with forgery.

The plan had failed Miserably my lady. We cannot recover the daughter, or the father, accordingly. The trip to Egypt had been proven uneventful. We could not retrieve the things necessary to carry out the further operations. And we cannot successfully until he stands guard. The man everyone wants.

But if we may formulate another plan, we may be able to lure your unsuspecting daughter into our trap. And I think accordingly, we can lure him too, it will be like killing two birds with one stone. Please let me know what are your thoughts in this, it will solve many of my problems and many of yours. I just need your full cooperation.

Please destroy the letter as soon as you read it.

C.M

No, someone is after my father.

Someone is after Christin too.

Why that thought is painful? Both the man in my life whom I ... No, I do not care for what happen to Christin Ace Rodriguez. I do not care what happens to that conniving, cold hearted brute.

Then why your heart is racing thinking about any harm coming his way?

My heart is not racing, it is just something, the excitement. Yes, the Excitement. It had to be. And it reminds me I have to find Christin and I have to do it soon. But first course of action is that I should get out of this place. I traced my step back. And yes, I had kept the letter I found, as a solid from of evidence against my stepmother. She has some higher up connection in the government I can see that now. And only person who can go up to that connection is...

I locked the door of my room and quickly gathered my things. My sword, my bow and arrows and yes my sweet hard earned money. I have a hunch that, I would be needing this sooner than later. I covered myself in cloak and the box peeked from the corner, his gift. I put it in my sack and tied it up. Rest is after I find Mr. Christin Ace Rodriguez.

I was about to go out when someone stood in my way. "Going somewhere without telling goodbye to your mother? Is that how I raised you to be young lady?" She asked. I gave her my best smile. "Emilia, I didn't saw you there. It is not my fault that my eyes refuse to see the sordid personalities." I told her. She however was not very keen on hearing my jokes. She had taken it literally to her heart.

"What is wrong with you Kathy dear? You have a wonderful family, a mother, two very generous sisters and a loving father but you always cause mishaps after mishaps." She looked at me with her not so motherly eyes. "I had arranged a good man for you to be married with but you refused to give him a chance. Instead you ran away from home. And now look at you, you are engaged to one of the most influential and powerful man in entire British Empire still you refuse to stop causing mishaps." She cannot be more charming, can she?