Chapter 23

Holding Aeric's hand as we walk up the cement steps to the precinct, he looks down at me; giving me a soft reassuring smile. He holds the door open for me as we enter the building; a cold wall of air conditioning floods over us. Watching officers gather around him shaking his hand, smiling and talking. A flurry of voices swirl around him making it hard to focus on just one.

Out of the corner of my eye I see Officer Garcia standing by the hallway door, arms crossed and tense. His gaze filled with a bitter distaste as he watches our every movement. Aeric gives my hand a squeeze as he starts to lead me towards the hallway.

I could feel his body stiffen as he walks up to Garcia, his pace slowing down and his face mirroring the same look.

"Aeric, good to see you out already." He says with no tone.

Aeric pauses in front of him, asserting his size over him.

"Thanks Tony." He says with a flat expression.

He leads me down the long hallway, fresh coffee filling the air with warmth. Each door labeled with a name, many unrecognizable. He stops, getting his keys and opening his office door. Flicking on the lights, he walks around the side of his desk; sitting in his large chair letting out a sigh as his body slinks down. Stacks of papers and files messily across his desk.

"Well, isn't this in a nice organized pile." He says sarcastically.

I watch him sort through papers, assessing each page and signing them quickly. I find my eyes wandering around the office, taking note of very little personal items. Everything sorted neatly into place, fitting perfectly together.

Is that a personality trait or a learned habit?

I had always seen his apartment neat and tidy, his truck perfectly clean, even down to his clean trimmed fingernails. Although, today he has a faint shadow of stubble. His hair still somewhat in place, come to think of it; this is the first time I've seen him wear anything other than jeans or dress pants. His muscle shirt tight against his large frame, pulling across his chest as he rubs his forehead. I notice books behind him, not what I had been expecting to see in his office. He always has a rigid, organized side to him. The labels all sorted by alphabetical author and title like an upscale book store.

"What's up?" He says leaning back.

"Nothing much." I say with a small smile.

He watches me intently, keeping his eyes on mine. "What are you thinking about?" He says narrowing his eyes.

"Not much, just sitting here." I say patting the arms of the chair.

"I know you, something's got you thinking."

"I just don't see anything that suggests you have a personal life in here."

"You mean like pictures or a mug that says world's best boss? Or maybe an award for boss of the decade?"

"Sure." I say holding back my attitude as best as I can.

"I like my private life private and my work is work. Church and state." he says watching me carefully.

"Oh, so sex on your desk is completely out of the question?" I say leaning forward, never taking my eyes off his.