Chapter 1

As I carefully wrapped the strings of my apron into a neat little bow I can't help but think today is not my day. A knowing gut feeling telling me to go home, but going home doesn't pay rent.

I push past the swinging doors into the kitchen. Dishes chattering, food sizzling, my boss Craig throwing out orders to Natalia. Natalia is not only my best friend but my coworker and roommate. She is the last bit of family I have left. Beautiful long ash blonde hair, pale cream skin and eyes so blue you could find the depths of the ocean. She is the definition of simple beauty; no effort is given, yet she always looks immaculate.

"Morning Craig," I say as I look through orders beside him.

"We have to prep for lunch." He says flipping a burger.

I roll my eyes to myself and gently nod as I make my way through the doors to the front of the diner. As I walk to the front, I take in the atmosphere that surrounds me. Craig has a nostalgic side to him, the look of a vintage diner as if out of a movie; red and silver decor sprinkled throughout.

"Craig is in a mood today." Huffs Natalia as she pours a cup of coffee.

"Isn't that his everyday attitude?" I laugh.

"Oh trust me he's a special kind of asshole today." She says as she turns on her heels and darts off with coffee gently swaying in its cup on her tray.

Just my luck, a cranky boss and a cranky best friend. I should have stayed home today.

Hours slip by taking orders, rushing drinks, cleaning tables and next thing I know it is lunch. Two more hours and I get to go home, get in my jogging pants and watch trash tv. Thank god for a short shift today. My thoughts are interrupted by the jingle from the front door as I watch a dozen construction workers enter the diner. Casually adjusting my pleated skirt and apron lower to avoid any unwanted attention. I hate this uniform with passion, red skirt, white blouse and a black apron. Sounds like it should be cute but we look like a blind school teacher picked out oversized skirts that also are way too short and saggy blouses with stained aprons.

Here we go...

I make my way to the tables of laughing men with a smile, tucking my long black hair behind my ears.

"Hello, my name is Archer. Can I start you with some drinks?" I say as I flip my tray over to write on my note pad.

They chime out their drink orders quickly as I furiously write. Making my way towards the counter I feel a hand swiftly grab up my skirt, gently grazing my upper thighs. I swiftly turn around smacking the hand that just made contact with my bare skin sending shivers up my spine.

"Excuse me, please do not touch me." I scold.

A pair of brown eyes meet mine. Wrinkled heavily by time and hard work. He laughs and gestures at my legs with ignorance.

"You expect me to keep my hands to myself while you're standing there looking like that?"
The entire table of men laugh as I walk away throwing my tray on the counter.

"Hold up before you break something, Archer," Natalia says wiping her hands on her apron.

"Just another pervert." I sigh.

"Want me to take that table?"

"No, no. I can handle it. Same shit different day." 

I put out a fake smile and walk away with my drinks. Handing out the drinks, I pay no attention to the brown eyed man.

The rest of my shift seems to creep by slower than honey on a cold day. Finally, I glance at the clock reading 2:00 pm.

"Thank god," I say utterly relieved.