Family Comes First

"Maybe this isn't a good idea." I muttered staring at the worn out diner ahead of us. This bubbling feeling was rising inside my stomach - Anger, annoyance.

Jerome glanced down at me, quirking an eyebrow upwards "Now, why do you say that?" His arm, which was slung around my shoulders, pulled me closer to him.

I huffed staring at the movement through the blinds "Because I might tear his limbs off if I look at him."

A wide grin spread across his lips "Oh, doll, Uncle Zach is family." He dipped his head down, pressing his lips onto mine. My lips curled softly. He pulled away and kissed my temple "Be nice... only until we get the information out of him. Then we'll kill him."

"I can't promise anything, J." I chuckled. He smirked.

We waited until it looked like there were no more people in the diner. I hoped that today wouldn't end up being ruined by the GCPD. Jervis Tetch and Scarecrow were supposed to distract them. As soon as the diner was empty, we approached the door and entered. The small bells rang, announcing our presence. The loud sound called the attention of a man, who was wiping clean the front counter.

Zachary Trumble.

A chubby man. He was a ginger too but his hair was beginning to become pale in some areas. Most likely closing into his fifties. His pale skin was lightly tinted pink and he had green eyes like Jerome. But J's were prettier and brighter. He sported a circle beard. He wore a dull plaid shirt with short sleeves. A white little hat with red stripes and a white waist apron.

"Uncle Zach. Nice to see ya." J greeted beaming. He rubbed my back trying to comfort me since I had become tense "I'd like to introduce you to my girlfriend; Reese. Isn't she a beaut?" He winked at me. I grinned.

"I've been waiting for you?" Zach stated. No emotion was present in his face. My eyebrows knit together as I questioned his attitude. Before my thoughts could continue any further, the man smiled "Would you like to try my soups first?"

• Δ •

"You sure you haven't heard from your nephew Mr. Trumble?" The female cop asked the older man with a calm voice. Yet, she would rather be doing anything other than talking to this man. Her partner didn't say anything. He just stood beside her quietly.

"That monster killed my sister." Zach stated with a cold expression on his face "I ever see him, his screams are what you'll be hearing."

From under the table, Reese and Jerome stifled laughter. His arms were wrapped around her waist, pulling her as close to him as possible. She clamped a hand over her mouth, her body shaking. He smiled upon seeing her try to control herself and placed his chin on her back.

Both cops were slightly impressed and uncomfortable with his answer but didn't show it. The woman was the one to speak "Just maybe give us a call before things go that far." With that, the two officers left the diner, the doorbell chiming behind them.

"Geez, there's a lot of gum under here." Jerome broke the silence that had settled in. Zach's eye twitched with anger upon hearing the sound of his nephew's voice. He watched the ginger and the brunette clamber out from under the table. They sat right across from him. Jerome placed his revolver beside him carelessly "You're lucky those flatfoots didn't check under the table, Uncle Zach."

"I've never seen anything like it." Reese commented, scrunching her nose as she remembered the monstrosity she had just witnessed.

It was then that Jerome decided to reach under the table, pulling out a crusty green gum. Reese grimaced but before she could tell him otherwise, he popped the gum into his mouth. Her jaw fell with disgust "I mean, got to be some kind of health code violation or something."