Don't Flatter Yourself!

I laid upon Jerome's bare chest that night. Tracing shapes over his skin. The cell was cold that night and all we had was a thin sheet but that wasn't on my mind at all. He was pretty darn warm anyway.

"Penny for your thoughts, gorgeous?" He whispered. His breath raised goosebumps along my uncovered skin. I shivered slightly. He chuckled and pulled the thin sheet closer to me. Two of his fingers raised my chin up to look up at him "What's wrong?"

My eyes stared into his. The days were passing and Jerome only looked more tired. Judith was doing her part in hurting him and I couldn't wait till I killed her. My head shook "Nothing. Why?"

"Because you're awfully quiet." He hummed.

A chuckle left my lips. I looked at him and smiled "I love you and your presence that's just it."

He stared down at me. A look that always caused me to melt. One that I hoped I'd never lose "And I love you." He smiled, digging his face into my neck. I grinned softly "I can't wait to get the hell out of here. Finish what I've wanted to do for a long time."

"And what's that, my love?"

He smirked up at me "You'll know at the right time."

I rolled my eyes "Okay, I get it. I'll let you have your mysterious-ness."

"Oh, thank you." He chuckled.

"You're welcome." I giggled.

He smiled and kissed me deeply. After a few seconds, he broke the kiss apart and just stared at me. My cheeks burned with rushing hot blood. He chuckled, caressing my skin. His lips pursed slightly "You know I wonder sometimes... how it would be like if you weren't around."

I frowned softly "Why?"

There was hesitation present. Silence.

"Because... you broke me." He whispered and looked down at me with seriousness in his eyes. Somewhat of a guilt settled in "I went into Arkham thinking everyone would fear me. That I'd be in complete control. And then you came in and you took control of me."

"I'm sorry." I whispered.

He looked down at me. A smile looped at his lips "Reese, I'm not mad. Falling for you is the only good thing that's happened to me."

I blushed feeling my heart beat inside ferociously. My hand caressed his cheek tenderly, running my fingers on the white scars covering his face "Really?"

He nodded humming "You're the only person I've ever truly loved."

•▪•

The next night resembled the previous. I was back at the recreational room with Jerome. He was persistent on the idea of getting Penguin to make him laugh. How? I'm not sure but what I do know is that it's most likely going to consist of Penguin being angry.

Upon walking into the giant room, I caught sight of Jerome standing on top a metal table in front of a ton of inmates. A brown rope was being held by his hands and he was tying into what seemed to be a noose.

"J?" I called out, raising an eyebrow with curiosity. His head raised and he had this look as if he'd been expecting me.

 His head raised and he had this look as if he'd been expecting me