5

4 Months Later

"Ms Jenner?" I called when I got to the office and she wasn't there, which was an immediate red flag because she was always there before me every day without fail unless she had a day off marked on her calendar, which I had access to from my computer. I checked, and she was supposed to be in her office right now, she didn't even have a meeting today. I decided to do everything as normal, and left her coffee on my desk in case she came in a little late or something, but there was no considerable traffic today and I knew for a fact she came in at 8 o'clock sharp every single day so there had to be a good reason for her not to come in. It got to ten , eleven, then twelve o'clock, so I asked around to see if she was in or if anyone had seen her. No one had seen her today.

I went down to the parking lot, and her car wasn't parked in her spot. She was definitely a creature of habit, which is why this was all so concerning and out of character so I went to the front desk to check with the woman who knew everything about everyone in the place. "Rebecca?" I said and leaned on the front desk. She was listening to music through her headphones and bopping her head to the beat I could hear coming out of the headphones because it was so loud. "Rebecca!" She didn't notice me so I waved my hand in front of her face and she waved and turned her music off.

"Good afternoon y/n, biscuit?"

"No thanks, I'm a little stressed"

"Then surely now is the perfect time for a biscuit?" she said and slid one over the desk to me but I slid it back towards her and she ate it

"No, no it's not. My boss isn't in, and she's not told me what's wrong and whether she'll be in"

"Call her"

"But she's probably got a good reason and she'll be mad if I interrupt"

"You may as well try" she said "come and have a seat" she patted a small stool next to her. I had Ms Jenner's cell and home phone number on my work phone so I phoned her while I was sitting at the front desk with Rebecca. "Would you like some tea?" She mouthed while it was dialling

"Yes please" I said and she waved to the other woman who worked with her and then pointed to the tea machine, and she got up and started making one.

"Hello?" My boss said

"Ms Jenner?"

"Oh. Y/n, what do you want?"

"I'm just worried, are you ok? It's 1"

"I'm well aware of what time it is, thank you very much"

"Are you coming into work today?" I asked

"No. Didn't I put it on the calendar?" Her tone sounded very flat, but it normally did when we had a conversation so I tried not to dwell on it.

"No"

"Apologies. I'll make sure I do. I'm going to be off for probably a few more days" she said. She'd never apologised to me, this was new, and I wasn't sure if I liked it, it was weird.

"Are you feeling ok? I know I'm not supposed to say, but this doesn't seem like you"

"I'll be fine. I'm just feeling a little under the weather" she sighed

"Ok. I hope you feel better soon"

"Thank you. Best wishes y/n, and feel free to take Friday off, I won't take it off your holidays. Just don't tell anyone"

"Thanks Ms Jenner" I said

"Don't do the excited face, I can hear when you do it" she said "and I know you can't get into my office without my key, but make sure you keep up with the input paperwork and make a pile or something for me to come back to"