Almost Two

*Epilogue*

*Epilogue*

     The time was five after one in the early morning hours. Karma leaned against one of the entryways that led into the water base. The harvester she was to meet was described as "The Tall Indian."

     Karma waited along the train tracks for all the men to get off the arriving trains. There were men everywhere setting up stalls to sell their items from the surface. The cement platform was chaotic. If Rea knew she was here, he would be hopping mad.

  Since he'd found out she was pregnant, he'd gone back to watching her all the time. It wasn't that he was concerned she would leave; Rea was simply afraid for her. He'd been worried since Gears had described giving birth. As far as she was concerned, he'd used one too many details. She told Gears a real Davis wouldn't have screwed her over like that. She wasn't apprehensive about birth, and Rea shouldn't be either. Besides, she needed to pick up this new blanket from this particular harvester. Supposedly, only he could find things that were unique. There was no way just any present would do to celebrate their one-year anniversary. Even if Rea discovered she was here, getting his gift was worth his irritation.

     Karma pressed closer to the stones next to the door and then tipped her head to see around a stack of crates. She recognized the man she was supposed to meet the second he lumbered off the train. Brice had said he was tall, had a long black braid, and was an Indian. She'd questioned if the man was from India or native to the Americas. Brice said he didn't know. Honestly, she didn't care. Karma only asked for clarification to be able to recognize him faster. As far as she was concerned, as long as he was willing to sell her items, her background didn't matter.

     "You Karma?" The stranger crossed the cement platform away from a group of men unloading what looked like coffins filled with bolts of fabric.

     "Yeah." She set her hand lightly on her gun. She never trusted harvesters, not even her uncle when she was young, but they were the only people who could get the good items from the surface of the planet.

     "My name's Soaring Hawk," the tall harvester announced.

     She guessed American Indian.

     "Do you have the blanket I want? Brice said you could get it."

     The huge muscles of his biceps flexed as he reached behind him. He started pulling what appeared to be fabric from his pack. A relaxed smile appeared on his face when he handed it to her.

     Karma pulled out a corner of the folded fabric and petted the fleece. It was perfect. A massive king-sized feather comforter that supposedly came from a real store. She squeezed it and thought about how much Rea was going to love the blanket. For a second, she pictured him and her and their new baby cuddling in this.

     "It's not free. I had to trek far to get that, all the way to the Beyond," Hawk said.

     Karma rolled the fabric up. She tucked it under her arm. "Here." She tugged out the money she brought from a pocket in her jeans.