Who Hired The Hitman

*Chapter 21*

*Chapter 21*

     The halls glowed a dull red from the emergency lights. For Karma, the halls might've been as bright as ever. She could even see some things better, like where there was even a little adjustment of light. If anyone was carrying a flashlight up ahead, she would notice that change even from a distance.

     Scanning behind them, she looked around for Gears. Rea was behind her. Gears trailed after them. Rea was protecting the doctor. His compact rifle was at the ready. Karma tried to spot anything that might tip her off to a trap. Fletcher never did like traps. He'd once said that they were too time-consuming when you could walk up and shoot people. Just because he said that didn't mean that he wouldn't set any. It had been a long time since she'd worked with him, so she wasn't a hundred percent sure what he would do next. If it was the same old Fletcher, then he would shoot out an electrical panel and start mowing people down.

     They turned down the next hall. She took the lead. Directly past the cement column, she heard shots. The sound reverberated off the walls. Behind her, Rea pressed Gears to the wall. The area in close proximity to them looked safe, but the noise was loud. The gunfire was coming from behind them.

     Rea took the radio from Gears. "Status report."

     She heard a muffled voice followed by static.

     Rea nodded. "The base is being attacked at two points—where the trains enter and at ground level near the wind generators. Ground-level is under control."

     "Two points?" Karma whispered.

     "Fletcher brought friends."

     "He doesn't have any friends," she muttered.

     Silently, Karma waved to indicate that Rea should take point. She put the doctor between them. The assassin part of her wanted to ditch Gears and Rea. She felt driven to hunt down the shooter, but she told Rea she would stay with him. She wasn't going to let him down now. As much as she recognized that Rea could take care of himself, she knew that looking after Gears was like herding cats. Rea was putting faith in her. She wouldn't desert him.

     Rea came to the next corner of the hall. He angled only a small portion of his body around the smooth stone. The radio was passed to Gears. He lifted his weapon. Behind her, Karma heard more shots. Several pops bounced off the walls. Semi-automatic.

     Wishing they had better cover, she ran into Gears. The doc came to a complete stop. He was cowering behind Rea.

     "Karma," Rea whispered. "Who's ahead of us in the hall? I can see movement."

     Karma bent around Rea. She dropped to a knee to make a smaller, lower silhouette. She peeked around the cement that capped the corner of the wall.

     As soon as she saw Eric, she tucked her head back. She adjusted her rifle to aim at the floor.

     "It's Eric."