Karma's Return

*Chapter 13*

*Chapter 13*

     The stones that made up the hallway looked like broken cement pieced back together. The edges were jagged, and Rea felt like the floor. His life was split apart with Karma gone. In the week since she left, he'd felt shattered somehow.

     He walked down the hallway weary after the training today. Even though he'd promised himself he wasn't going to do it, he thought about her anyway.

     Rea stopped at Gears' door. He had filled his life with every conceivable project he could think of. He had taken extra guard duty, helped in the mess hall, cleaned animal stalls, and polished weapons. He was running out of work to keep his mind off of her leaving him again.

     While staring at Gears' door, he silently wished he could ask his friend for advice. If only the doctor could give him a drug that would make him forget her. Maybe Gears could erase all his memories of Karma.

     Raising his hand, Rea knocked on the metal door with a loud rap. The sharp tap bounced off the cold stones of the large hallway. The base doctor opened the door.

     "What is it, Mac?" His friend planted his shoulder against the door frame and touched the center of his glasses.

     "I was hurt at training. I need you to fix it up. It's on the back of my leg. I can't see it very well. Cleanliness is next to godliness, right?"

     "Fine, I'll be there in ten minutes." Gears started to close the door but then paused. "Is there anything else you want to say?"

     "No," Rea stubbornly lied. After what happened with Karma, there was a separation between them. He couldn't forgive himself for what happened, and he didn't expect Gears to either. Damn it, but he hated her. Rea hated her for making him feel this way. She'd ruined his once peaceful world. He had plans to move on with his life. Rea planned to leave this base and start on a different path. Her showing up changed that somehow. Her intrusion into his life had him asking all sorts of questions about what he really wanted. The worst of it was, Rea discovered that maybe what he really wanted was her.

     It was all Karma's fault that Gears and he couldn't get along anymore. It was all her fault he was now unhappy with his life, and he was doing a piss-poor job of training the men.

     Well, none of it was actually her fault, but he was going to blame her anyway. What Rea needed was to be able to boot her out of his life as she'd done to him. They never really had anything but teenage puppy love. He should've listened to Gears from the beginning.

     "Hey, Mac, did they ever find the missing equipment?" Gears asked before Rea could leave.

     "No. She took the extra guns, Brice's winter clothes, and the new snowmobile with the heated cover you just perfected. She's long gone. I want to blame the men for leaving those items unsecured, but I should've tied her up or kept her in interrogation. I should've killed her in the greenhouse. I could've killed her a hundred times."