Ocean Of Tears

*Chapter 14*

*Chapter 14*

     Karma rode on a sea of confusion and pain. A part of her knew she had a fever, but if she could just clear her head, she would be able to move. She needed to get up, but her body refused her commands.

     Straining, she tried to pick up her head, but nothing happened. Vaguely, she felt someone touching her arm. Was that a needle or someone's hand? She tensed to fight the unknown person, but her limbs were too heavy. She opened her mouth and tried to form words. Only a whisper of air escaped from her.

     Time became unimportant as she slipped in and out of consciousness. When sleep claimed her, the rest was the only time that she was free from the throbbing in her body.

     When she woke again, she could hear someone in the room with her.

     Muffled voices floated around her. She struggled to make out what they said, and she tried to place who was with her. Where was her gun? And more importantly, where was she?

     "I came to tell you I've decided not to leave yet. I have to do some more thinking on this president offer. Ken said I shouldn't rush into moving on until you had everything worked out here. He's concerned for my safety."

     Karma heard the deep voice of a male a few feet away from her. She tried to gauge where he stood. She reached automatically for the pistol on her thigh. Pain shot through her arm. She groaned.

     So much for her weapon. She was left unarmed with strangers. Even her eyes wouldn't obey right now. Karma wished for the first time since her father died that he was here to help her.

     "Who's that?" she heard the voice say.

     "That's Karmen-Marie. I don't know if you remember her. She lived on one of the bases with us for about a year. She's visiting, but isn't feeling well."

     Karma knew the voice that responded. It was Rea. Thank God, he was safe.

     "I remember her. I left with her, you know, on the shuttle out."

     The other voice relaxed like he was adding a tidbit of information that didn't matter. Left with her? Karma searched her memory for a name. Nothing came through the fog. She became determined to pry her eyes open.

     When she finally succeeded in forcing her eyelids apart, she could see Rea's back. Karma was so tired of trying, but not trying wasn't an option. She simply must get up, and she could do it if she gathered all her strength. She concentrated. She had to protect Rea.

     Panic rose when all her attempts left her exhausted and no closer to action.

     "Wait, Eric. What do you mean?" Rea called to... Eric Bennett! The Eric Bennett that Fletcher had mentioned. But what shuttle was he talking about? She needed to dig deep into memories she'd buried years ago.