Four Aces

*Chapter 25*

*Chapter 25*

     Karma dropped onto the thick dirt below her and stepped over a flower. She swiftly scanned the back of the greenhouses. Noting that some of the plants were new, she dashed a few wayward hairs away from her face.

     After taking off her gloves, she stuffed them into the bag on her back and stood. The room was quiet and serene. She walked around the first plastic-covered house leisurely. Her fingers petted the soft petals of the flowers. She'd been gone one month, yet not much had changed. She hoped Rea hadn't changed his mind about wanting her.

     Her eyes closed for a moment and she took a deep breath. The room smelled of fresh rosemary. The smell of this room reminded her that she'd almost killed Rea here. Nothing about their relationship had been easy. She willed away the tears that formed whenever she thought about this place. Not this place, she reminded herself, but Rea. She wished she'd been able to come back sooner.

     Karma calmed her ragged nerves and reminded herself he'd asked her to stay. Maybe he didn't use the word love, but it was implied. Right?

     She decided she would visit her dad first to make sure he was doing well. Then she would talk to Rea.

     The door to the greenhouse squeaked when she opened the exit. Her eyes scanned the walkways. The hall was all the same. The base was peaceful. She swiftly began to stride down the corridor. Karma passed the bedrooms and navigated her way straight to the medical wing. She could still remember every aspect of the base. At night, she dreamed about it. Well, not the base so much as Rea

     Outside the room, sitting on a wooden chair, was Brice. Brice had his head propped back against the wall with his eyes closed. His deep breathing told her he was asleep. She slipped silently up to him and put the barrel of her gun at the nape of his neck.

     His eyes popped open.

     "You shouldn't be sleeping if you're protecting my dad."

     Brice's shoulders dropped slightly. He looked up at her. He gave her a relaxed smile.

     "Nice to see you're back. Your dad missed you."

     Karma slipped her gun back into the holster on her thigh and nodded. She then turned to the door and entered the small room.

     When she entered, she noted her dad first. He sat in a narrow bed pushed against the furthest wall. He shuffled an old deck of cards.

     Gears sat at a computer to her right. A row of six label makers were lined up on the desk by his keyboard. A snake was draped around his neck like a thin, ugly brown scarf.

      Her dad noticed her first. He sat up straighter.

     "I've been waiting for you, girl." A hint of his Russian accent was present. Whenever he said the word "girl," she could hear it. His accent reminded her of her youth. He didn't sound surprised to see her. He acted as if he always knew when she was going to show up.

     Gears jumped and grabbed at his chest. "You scared me."

     "Hi, Gears." She tipped her head and set her bag down. He nodded and rose from his chair.

     "Your dad kept saying you'd be here soon. I didn't think he meant now." Gears took the snake from around his neck and put the serpent in a nearby cage. He regarded her again. "I'm almost getting used to you being armed and sneaking into rooms."

     Karma glanced at the cage of snakes. "I'm almost getting used to you too."

     "I'll let you and your dad talk." Gears smiled. "I have to go and check on a few of the guys." The doc picked up a backpack off the table, a label maker, and headed out the door.

     After Gears departed, she grabbed Gears' chair and pulled the seat next to her dad's bed. Her father kept shuffling his cards.

     "How's the family?"

     "Team One is red." She was glad her father wasn't looking at her. She hated to admit she hadn't gotten there before they were all murdered. They were family. They hadn't deserved to die like that. What had been done to them would haunt her nightmares for a long time.

     Her father frowned. "And the other teams?"

     "I beat The Originals. I moved faster. All the other teams are green."

     Her father visibly relaxed. "Did you give them a new directive?"

     "I did."

     "Thank you."

     She nodded.

     When he didn't say anything more, she took out her gun and switched it to safe. She wasn't surprised that her dad was silent. He was probably thinking about his next plan. She was thinking about her next plan, too.

     "Are you staying here?" He asked her after a minute. Only the shuffling of cards broke the silence. The red diamond pattern passed through her father's fingers.

     "I'm afraid," she whispered after a while. It was funny, but she'd never said that to her dad before. All the hits, all the dangerous situations, yet this was the time that anxiety gripped her. She didn't want to be tied down, but she did want to be tied to Rea. She didn't want The Seemyah, but she didn't want to leave here. Damn.

     "You know that I've always tried to get you to take over The Seemyah. I say we play a hand." Her father began to deal the cards. "If I win, you take over The Seemyah. I'm bringing them here. They're going to guard Eric until his position is set. You'll oversee the operation."

     "So, if you win, I have to stay here?"

     "Yes, run The Seemyah, make roots, you lose your freedom. You'll also have to work out your relationship with Mac."

     "If I win?"

     "You do as you wish. Go or stay. I'll stay out of your life. I won't meddle."

     "You've meddled enough." She let the cards cool before her. Her father was going to stay out of her life. That was unlikely. She would have to see it to believe it.

     Picking up the cards in front of her, she arranged them in her hand. Her father did the same, but his expression was blank. He gave nothing away.

     "I'll take one." Karma slid one card toward him. Her father gave her a new card. Once again, she arranged them in her hand. She could get up and leave. She didn't have to play.

     "Dealer will take one." Again, he adjusted the cards to his satisfaction and relaxed his shoulders on the pillows at the headboard.

     "So?" she asked when the silence between them started to stretch on to the absurd. It was merely a deck of cards. She could do what she damn well wanted. She sighed. What she wanted was to see Rea.

     "I have a pair." Her father set his cards on the blanket. "Kings."

     Karma set her cards down.

     "Four aces. I win." She looked over at the door.

     "Go, if you like, have all the freedom you want." Her father spoke offhandedly, but Karma could hear the disappointment behind the words.

     "No, thanks. I think I'll go talk to Rea. It's not often I get such a great hand. I must have good luck right now. I shouldn't waste it hanging around the Equator." Karma got up from her seat. "I'd best use this luck while I have it."

***

These last few chapters are my fav. This is my first book baby so it holds a special place in my heart. Vote or comment. Either are welcome. Cheers. C.M.~