Unarmed

*Chapter 14*

ओह! यह छवि हमारे सामग्री दिशानिर्देशों का पालन नहीं करती है। प्रकाशन जारी रखने के लिए, कृपया इसे हटा दें या कोई भिन्न छवि अपलोड करें।

*Chapter 14*

     The knock was loud. One hard rap on the door. Rea lifted his head off the blanket. He blinked away the sleep and the blurriness as he glanced around.

     He'd fallen asleep at Karma's side and sat on a chair next to where he'd placed her on his bed. He'd slept with his head next to her hand for the last three nights.

     His eyes scanned Karma. It amazed him that she was here in his bed again. She was so still and pale. She looked like she might be dead. He reached out and put two fingers on her pulse. Her skin was cool. The steady rhythm of her heart reassured him. The antibiotics, IVs, and constant care had done wonders. He placed his palm on her forehead and realized her fever had finally broken.

     A sighed of relief blew past his lips.

     Another somber tap at the door and Rea jumped up. He hated that he still treated her like his fragile girlfriend. He didn't want to worry about her, but he couldn't stop himself.

     Stiff from sleeping awkwardly, he stretched as he headed to the door. He checked the cameras at his computer and saw Gears waiting for him.

     Rea swung the door open and blinked at the bright lights of the hallway.

     "Gee, Mac, took you long enough. What were you doing?" Gears lifted one eyebrow.

     "Nothing," Rea mumbled as he let his hand fall away from the doorknob.

     He spun on his heel and headed toward the bathroom. He didn't want to talk to Gears about Karma right now. Rea didn't want another diatribe about how they shouldn't care for her. Right now, whenever he saw Gears, it made him uneasy. A part of him nagged that his friend might be right.

     Rea took his time in the bathroom and hoped Gears would be finished up with Karma before he came out again. He brushed his teeth and killed time wiping down his sink. After he wasted about as much time as he could, Rea opened the bathroom door and popped his head out. When his friend was nowhere to be found, he relaxed and came out to resume his spot next to Karma's side.

     "Before I go, I want to talk to you."

     Rea ran his hands back and forth through his hair. He sighed and turned to Gears. The doctor stood in his kitchen alcove stirring a hot liquid in a green bowl. Steam rose out of the container. A lamp, clean bandages, and a few small bottles were spread out on his dining table.

     "I've been up for days, and I feel like shit. Can we skip the lecture today?"

     "I don't lecture."

     "Yeah, right," Rea scoffed and got up to see what Gears was doing in his kitchen.

     "I brought you a sun lamp. It's on the table. You've been in here with her for days and you didn't hit the greenhouses much before. I built this light for both of you. You can put it at the head of your bed and set it so you get a few hours of sun every day. I also have these vitamins for you both, and I took her off the sleeping drug today. She'll be awake soon, and once she is, you must keep that wound on her arm closed and clean. The one on her leg is closed. You need to take care of that too. No re-tearing. No infection. Lots of rest." Gears used his firm, no-nonsense doctor voice. That tone was the one that Rea knew he couldn't argue with. The voice, Rea swore, Gears was born with.

1:05 am A Novelजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें