Snow Flu

*Chapter 23*

*Chapter 23*

     "After I faked my death and left, Karma surprised me and left too," Keith continued.

     Karma stared at her father. This was un-fucking-believable.

     All of this because she didn't love Fletcher and didn't want to run the family? She understood her father had built his business from nothing, but she had dreams of her own.

     "I told you what I wanted. You didn't listen." She heard gunfire a long way off. Everyone eyed the door. Footsteps could be heard. She waited. Silence finally settled over them again.

     "Yes, I didn't listen." Keith gave Karma a half-smile. "Instead of working with Fletcher and taking over, you vanished. By the time I got back from my fake death, no one could find you. I also found out when I returned that Fletcher wanted to force you to marry him. I knew he had designs on The Seemyah, but I didn't know to what extent he'd go to control the family." Keith paused. "Fletcher knew no one would be loyal to him without you at his side. He was angry when you left. He swore to destroy The Seemyah if he couldn't run it."

     "I'm going to check the hall." Rea opened the door again. "Gears, hurry up. Eric stay here with Keith, and Karma, you gotta wrap up this conversation."

     "Fine." She took the radio from Rea. As Rea stepped out, she turned the volume to low. She was so angry that the idea they were trapped in this room didn't even matter to her right now.

     "So, where did you go?" It was hard to imagine her dad just sitting around a pool on the Equator.

     "I came here. This was the one place I knew no one would look for me. I'd also heard that Mr. MacBain had been put on a hit list. There was someone who wanted the head of the water bases dead, and Gears, what's the word... vulnerable. I came to check it out."

     That wasn't the answer Karma expected.

     "What?" Both Gears and she spoke in unison. Gears stopped working and looked at Keith.

     "I was waiting for word from my men." Keith shrugged. "They were looking for you, Kar."

     "If you're here to kill Rea, then you're not doing a very good job," Gears commented wryly.

     Rea poked his head back in. "Are you done yet, Gears?"

     Gears jumped. He spun back to the panel.

     "I won't let you kill Rea." Karma swallowed hard. She'd never gone head-to-head with her dad over a job before. The idea of pointing a gun at his head didn't sit well with her.

     Everyone stared at her. Rea stepped back inside. He frowned at all of them.

     "I'm not trying to kill Rea, even though I could. I was... what's the word... we'll just use babysit. I was babysitting him." Just a hint of a smile appeared on Keith's face.