Mac

*Chapter 4*     

     "Mr. MacBain." Brice, one of Rea's water base guards, caught up to him as he strode down the hallway. "Doctor Gears is here to see you."

     Rea stopped and ran his hand through his red hair. All these new guys Ken hired were idiots. He swore they were always dodging work.

     "Just call me Mac." Rea shook his head at the young man. "And the name's just Gears, not Doctor Gears. Go back to Ken and do something useful."

     Man, it was a good thing none of these men knew his full name; otherwise, who knew what they would end up calling him. Right now, most of them had a hard time remembering Mac. If they knew his full name was Joseph-Rea MacBain, all their heads might explode.

     Gears appeared behind the lanky guard and gave him a sideways smile. His friend wore so many coats the pile of fabric made his head look tiny. Gears chuckled at Rea's response. Rea didn't think the men on his water base were amusing.

     After Gears fell into step next to him, Rea gave a glance to the doctor. Gears pushed his large glasses up his skinny nose.

     "I'm not going to bother giving Brice orders." Rea didn't add that there was no point. The water base guards loved to agree with his directions and then later he would find them on the opposite side of the base with no explanation of what they were doing. Their antics were enough to make him want to punch something. He would fire them all, but the idea of starting over with a new batch of men was depressing.

     Gears nodded and began to take off a pair of heavy wool gloves. His friend regarded him thoughtfully.

     "Ken assures me that these are the best men for training. I know what you're going to say."

     "What I was going to say involves more swear words than you'd be willing to listen to."

     Gears shrugged. "I was looking for you because I wanted to talk." From one of his many coat pockets, his friend pulled a map. "I came to tell you the building of this water base is almost done. The skylights have been added. All the major construction men have moved on to start a new base. The electricians, plumbers, and earthmovers are gone."

     Rea frowned. This wasn't new information. He didn't look at the map. Why was Gears really here? Gears was the doctor for the water base and a brilliant scientist. Construction wasn't normally a subject he reviewed. When Rea didn't respond, Gears went on.

     "Our facility is up against the ocean here. The building's part above ground and part below." Gears gestured with a wave of his right hand.

      Rea scanned his only friend as they passed the training hall. Up ahead, he could vaguely hear men eating and the general horseplay in the mess hall.