We

*Chapter 26*

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

*Chapter 26*

     Rea was covered in mud, sand, and clay. In his entire life, he was sure he'd never been this dirty. In his whole life, he was also sure he'd never been this depressed.

     The flats of his palms brushed sand from his face. He used his fingers to dust chunks of mud from his hair. Keith was going to holler at him when he saw the mistake he'd made in the new hallway.

     Cursing his distracted thoughts and his poor ability to focus on the underground building, Rea opened the door to his bedroom. After he entered, he slammed it using his boot. A slab of mud fell to the floor. He ignored the mess.

     The door closed with a loud thud, and Rea closed his eyes. He relaxed against the wood panels. He really liked building underground. He loved leaving the training and guarding to Keith. He had all the spare time he wanted now. So, why wasn't he happy? He knew the answer. He wasn't focused on building because he was thinking about her. He wasn't happy about having the time to himself because of her as well. Spare time was useless if he didn't have Karma in his room waiting for him. Freedom from training men was what he'd been after his whole life. Now that he had it, he didn't have anything to use it on.

     He thought about going to the Equator to find her. Maybe she was somewhere having the time of her life. He pushed that thought away. She said she would come back. He had to wait.

     His fingertips scratched at the whiskers he'd forgotten to shave earlier as he considered all the words he would say when she came back. This time, Rea would say the right thing.

     On the day she left, she had said she would return. He should've told her he loved her then. If he had said the words, then maybe he would have no regrets.

     Frustration was a living, breathing creature in the room with him. Rea let it wrap its claws around him. His hands went to the bottom of his shirt. He swept the garment over his head. Rea threw the top to the foot of the bed without bothering to turn on the light. He raked his hands through his hair to dispel some of the mud and then reached for the light switch in the bathroom.

     "You enter a room without turning on the lights? I'd think you'd know better by now. Someone might be waiting here to kill you." Karma's voice washed through him like the hottest, most relaxing shower he ever had. Keith had told him to be patient. Her father had said she would be back and to have faith. He'd tried so hard, and now like magic, she was here. She clicked on the sun lamp by the bed. The light cast a warm, comforting glow over where she stood next to his bed.

     After she left here, Rea had taken the vent cover off, wishing that she would come in again. He'd added softer sun lamps around the room and a new blanket. He wanted her to like them. He had prayed every night that she would sneak into his room one last time. Since she'd left, everything he'd done was as if she would return and would stay. Her staying was all he had thought about.