The Target

*Chapter 5*     

     Karma did a function check on all of her weapons and checked her ammo. She crouched close to the perimeter of the water compound. For now, she simply watched.

     Even half a klick away, the structure appeared huge. The building was partly above the ground amongst the ice and snow. The remainder was below the ground where the temperature was stable. Everyone was being forced to build this way. Even in areas where the ground wasn't completely frozen over, the Northern Earth Dens, or NEDs as they were sometimes called, had taken over. She thought about the map she'd reviewed. Karma remembered the compound had shuttles and trains that ran underneath. The tracks weren't good access points. They would be heavily guarded.

     No. Coming from the ground level was the best since the weather was bitterly cold. Most guards couldn't be outside for longer than five or six hours before a shift change. Also, sensors didn't always work the best at negative twenty degrees Fahrenheit. That was another advantage.

     Flipping her phone open, Karma checked the blueprints of the facility. She hoped she got a signal here. Cupping her hands, she willed warmth into her fingertips. As she studied the information Fletcher gave her, she tried to commit the data to memory. When her phone quit, she would still know every pertinent detail.

     What she'd learned so far was that her target, the man who worked on the compound, was from a generations-old military family. There were a lot of those around. Everyone she killed was the same.

     She frowned. Karma couldn't trust any of the data so far, but what Fletcher gave her was all she had. Her target was currently working with a researcher named Adam, aka Gears, who had discovered how to turn even the most chemically saturated water into clean drinking water. The two men had formed a comfortable alliance. While this guy Mac trained guards to police and protect the water treatment plants, Gears, in turn, convinced the C.T.O.N.A. to let him have water compounds where they thought suitable. If higher-ups in the government wanted the water, they could have it, but only as long as the elite protection could go along.

     Gears was only in his early thirties. Something seemed off in both the age and the alliance. She thought she'd read the leader of the water bases was an old man. Karma couldn't place what was wrong.

     Snapping her phone closed, she rubbed her hands together for warmth. There were a lot of holes in her information. Stealthily, she stood and proceeded closer to the base. After ducking behind large snowdrifts, a thought struck her that all of this was strangely familiar. Karma recognized that her past was trying to taunt her. She pushed the memory out of her mind. She had no time to let any of her ghosts haunt her. There was no time for distractions— she was rusty as it was. Instead, she broke into a jog and reviewed what she'd read about Eric Bennett.

     Eric Bennett, a wealthy playboy from the Equator, was indeed on the compound. Apparently, Eric had gotten access to the base. His name was familiar also. Maybe she'd seen it somewhere. Someone could've put a hit out on him and it was a missed opportunity. The name was from somewhere. Karma figured it would come to her sooner or later.