Faith, Luck, and Hard Work

*Chapter 15*

*Chapter 15*

     Rea did random activities around the bedroom. He cleaned the main light near the vent. It wasn't dirty. He pressed buttons on his computer. Nothing happened. He wiped off his spotless counter and swept his clean floor.

     It seemed like he couldn't sit down. Maybe he thought if he sat, he would have to talk to her. If Karma pushed him about their relationship, all she would accomplish would be him closing down.

     In the last few hours, he hadn't spoken once. After she'd told him about Fletcher and The Seemyah, she expected more questions, but he didn't even look at her. He hadn't commented on anything or asked her anything more. At the very least, Karma assumed he would say something about the fact that she had practically begged to stay with him, but no.

     Karma rested, sat, waited. The quiet of the room enveloped them. He acted as if she wasn't worth bothering with, but Karma knew better. At some point, he would have to talk to her. He just needed to stop being so stubborn.

     She angled back against the soft pillows as Rea cleaned his counter and table a second time. There was clearly nothing on the top. She spread out the blanket and arranged it over her body so her nipples were slightly showing. When she did that, it was the only time she caught his eye. As she folded the cover, it dawned on her that the blanket was a different one with a busy pink flower pattern. It didn't look like a blanket he would've chosen for his bed. She petted the new quilt. Maybe he was finally decorating and settling into this water base. She couldn't picture him decorating with pink flowers, but maybe he liked pink.

     She imagined staying here with him. The thought was a welcoming balm on torn flesh.

     "This is nice. When did you get a new blanket? It's softer than your old one." She spoke loudly enough so he could hear her, but he turned his back to the bed. Karma hoped her comment would get his attention, but she wished she could've come up with a better opening line to break the ice. She was starting to wonder if he was ever going to talk to her again.

     Rea looked up from the counter and peered over his shoulder. His eyes dropped to her nipples and then came back up to her face. He looked irritated, and she got some pleasure from taunting him. It was good to know he couldn't ignore her forever.

     "I had to get a new quilt 'coz you were so gross when you got here that I had to throw my other one in the incinerator."

     Karma laughed but then realized he wasn't joking. He didn't even crack a smile.

     "I fell into the ocean when Fletcher shot me. It was rank. He was expecting me. I should've known better, but I'm a little rusty since I got out of The Seemyah." Karma knew she owed Rea more than she could ever repay. If he hadn't helped her, she wouldn't be alive. She sobered and met Rea's unflinching green eyes.