Honest

*Chapter 11*

*Chapter 11*

     Rea returned to his room after dealing with the men. As he came back, he expected Karma to be waiting to meet him. An unusual warm feeling flowed through his body at the thought of her waiting for him.

     He silently opened his bedroom door. Instead of Karma, Gears waited for him. The doctor paced, looking far too concerned for Rea's peace of mind.

     "Where's Karma?" The thought that she'd run off scared him. He was honest enough to admit that he secretly didn't want her memories to return. He hadn't pushed Gears for an antidote. He wanted her to stay exactly as she was, but he didn't want to examine that too much.

     "I'm fine." Gears snapped at him. "Thank you for asking."

     "Where's Karma?" Rea repeated, ignoring the barb.

     "She's sleeping on your bed. I was so scared she might kill me I knocked her out. I was afraid her memories had returned when she shot Nash. If you don't mind my saying, this is getting out of hand."

     "I do mind you saying." Rea paused. "Wait. You knocked her out? How?" Rea pushed past his friend and found Karma on the bed. She was under his blanket sleeping peacefully. As far as Rea could tell, she looked unhurt. He let out the breath that was painful in his lungs. She was safe. That's all he wanted right now.

     "I gave her a drug that's basically a low-dose sleeping pill. The medication will knock a person out for about an hour unless there's more put into their system. While she slept, I cleaned the new injury and washed away all the blood. It was a small scratch from Nash's knife. RCC100 closed it up. All her cuts are healing well."

     "Thank you, Gears," Rea spoke with calmer than he felt. He lovingly moved a lock of hair away from her face.

     "You're not welcome."

     Gears' outburst surprised Rea because his friend was rarely upset about anything. They almost never fought.

     "You can't keep doing whatever it is you're doing. You know that, don't you? She isn't an old friend, and she isn't here for a visit. She might kill you or me or Eric, or she could leave. Don't you remember saying that? You have to do something with her. You have to lock her up or tell her the truth, something other than this." Gears swept his hand across the room encompassing the whole thing.

     "I'm not locking her up. Don't be dramatic."

     "Dramatic? What you're doing is straight-up lying. I can't stand watching this anymore. When all her memories come back, what then? What're you going to do then?" The look Gears threw at him was pointed. Apparently, he wanted a precise answer.

     "I don't know. Okay? I don't have any idea what I'm doing. And don't act so damn superior to me, either. The only helpful thing you've said has been 'some of the rats died.'"