Killing Spree

*Chapter 20*

*Chapter 20*

     Rea crawled out from under the dark-haired beauty sleeping next to him. She was curled around his body like a well-fed kitten.

      Rising, he placed his feet on the floor expecting the rush of cold from the cement. Instead of chilly concrete, his toes dug into soft fibers. Karma had put a runner of thick carpet from his side of the bed all the way to the bathroom door.

     He adjusted the blankets over Karma and stopped himself from laughing out loud. This was the kind of thoughtfulness and understanding that made Karma unique. She always did things to make his life better, and she never thought anything of it. He kissed her forehead and went to the kitchen still naked.

     "What's going on, handsome?" she murmured groggily. "What time is it?"

     "It's 1:05 a.m. Nothing's going on. I'm getting a drink of water. Go back to sleep. I'll be back in a minute. We don't have to be up for training for hours yet."

     Karma sank back into her pillow.

     He liked that she was so worn out. He loved that he could sap her energy by making love to her. For a second, that thought hit him like a frying pan over his head. Making love was exactly what it was. There was a difference between fucking and making love. Even when he was rough with Karma, and she was screaming his name loud enough for everyone on the base to hear, it was still making love compared to what he had in the past.

     Karma was all kinds of fantastic. At this point, he made up his mind. He would ask her to stay. He had to plan the right moment and figure out the right words, but he was going to ask her. She wanted to build trust between them, and he was starting to believe that was possible.

     Rea grabbed a forgotten plastic cup on the side of the kitchen sink and turned on the water. Once he had a quick drink, he was going to climb back into bed. He had to admit that even though it was fun to zap her energy, she did it right back to him. He was tired. Rea couldn't wait to get under the warm covers.

     Before Rea could fill his cup, a loud knock sliced through the silence of the room. The sound was so unexpected that for a moment Rea didn't move. From behind him, Karma sat straight up in bed.

     "Something's wrong. I feel it." Karma grabbed his blanket and pulled the cloth over her naked chest. She bent down and grabbed his pants off the floor. She tossed them to him with a flick of her wrist.

     "Me too." Rea's eyes followed her movements as she slipped on a shirt. Something didn't feel right about this disruption at one in the morning. He didn't know what it was, but it was special that Karma could feel the disruption as well. He tugged on his pants.

     Rea checked the cameras. Gears stood in the hallway. His friend's head was tucked above a series of coats, and he was playing with his glasses.