Just My Luck

*Chapter 7*

*Chapter 7*

     Karma's eyes popped open seconds after cold water hit her face. She coughed, sputtered, and then ran her tongue over her wet lips.

      "That woke her up."

     Disoriented, she heard a man's voice above her. The pounding in her head brought her to full consciousness. That potted plant had given her one hell of a headache.

     Karma blinked as a knife stabbed into her right thigh. A burning pain overwhelmed her. To stop from calling out, she bit her tongue.

     Male laughter assaulted her ears. She looked around through a blur of water and blood.

     Quickly, she assessed she was in a small room tied to a chair. Her father had taught her to push everything away. She needed to concentrate. Karma breathed through the burning sensation. The holsters on her thighs had been cut off. Her wrists were tied tight with a thick rope. Not good. She tried to think around the hammering at her temples.

     Without looking, she gathered that her legs were similarly tied to both legs of the metal chair. She flexed to test the strength of the rope. It was solid.

     Again, not good.

     The room was all old tan-colored tiles and harsh light. A deep-gray marble countertop dominated the wall to the right. If she carefully turned her head, she would be able to see a door behind her left shoulder. There was nothing else in the room, but the two men in front of her, a bucket, and a metal cabinet.

     As she took in her new surroundings, Karma recognized the man named Charlie. She'd seen him in the greenhouse. Charlie was tall with wide-set eyes. He had a mop of uncombed shaggy brown hair. The man next to him was much shorter with a bald head and crooked lips. Both men didn't look like much, but in this circumstance, every warning bell went off in her body.

     This wasn't going to be pretty, but she kept her head calm as her father taught her.

     Charlie edged closer with a giddy expression on his face. The look was disturbing. His eyes shone, and his breath smelled like onions.

     "What's the stuff you got there?" The short bald man posed the question.

     These two would've been humorous if it weren't for the fact she was in such a dire state.

     "Gears gave this to me to give to Boss-Mac, and I forgot, but now I thought we'd use it. It's stuff to make someone not able to move. I was thinking if we gave her this, then we could untie her and put her on the counter while we wait."

     "What for?" Shorty asked, but Karma knew the answer.

     "You're dumb, Josh. If we give it to her, then we can do her before Boss-Mac gets here. He was shot, so I figure it'll take him a while 'til he's fixed up." Charlie fished a needle out of the drawer in the cabinet. He produced three identical glass containers from his pocket and set them on the counter, side by side.