Chapter 27: Bruises

Draco's P.O.V
________________________________

Shout out to my boi @bluedevils3 for being an ongoing supporter 😘😁🥳

We stared at each other for a couple of seconds, and she looked at me with sadness, expectation and....hope?

After what seemed like forever, she just shook her head and walked away from me. She went into her bathroom and I heard the shower turn on and the sound of water running.

I sighed and slumped down against the wall. We were never going to solve this are we? After about half an hour she stepped out, fully dressed, (much to my dismay). She climbed into bed and pulled the thick duvet over her sleek and gorgeous body.

I walked around and lay down beside her, but still a safe distance away. I was so tempted, so tempted to ask her about Blaise, but I didn't, knowing she would cut me out. In the end, hearing her sit there and mumble the amount of bottles on the wall, I lost it.

"So..." I said and she turned to me in surprise.

"You and Blaise, huh?" I asked and immediately cringed at the thought. My blood boiled but I kept my control.

"Ummm...Why do you care?" she blurted out.

I opened my mouth several times but held it together as I thought about my answer.

Because I am still in love with you? Because you mean the world to me? Because you stole my heart and encased it in a cage? Because I love you so goddamn much, just the feeling of you next to me makes my mind hazy? Because nobody else can make my stomach tighten the way you do? Because your memories are enough to last me a lifetime? Because you are the love of my life?

"Because I want the best for my best friend" I said confidently, smiling even, but my soul was shattering inside of me. Something in her eyes flickered, but she hid it well.

"So uh yeah I..." she started stammering, something that happened when she gets....FLUSTERED?!?!

"OH HELL NAH!" is what I wanted to say.

"So you guys kissed?" I asked and she nodded. My teeth gritted and I clenched painfully.

"That's... that's great, I'm happy for you" I whispered. Tears stung the back of my eyes.

"Are you...crying?" She asked in a worried voice and I felt my cheeks and noticed a warm liquid staining them.

"What a day!" I said, yawning loudly.

"Oh sorry, what did you say?" I asked nicely and she looked stunned.

"Nothing" she lied smoothly.

I smiled and turned to sleep. The sound of her rhythmic breathing made me at peace and I felt myself drifting off. A small noise woke me. A beep, from a phone maybe?

I didn't move as I heard Hermione go to reach it. After a while, another small noise startled me. A voice. A woman's voice.

"Yes mum, I'm fine, but I have to go"

"No i don't love him anymore. It's like what you said. Love is like oatmeal. It is there only to sustain you, not to taste good. I realise now, he never did love me. I wish I could say the same. He was my joy, only reason I kept going. Now, I don't see a reason. Why? Both my boyfriends left me for a girl they barely know. Ron, okay fine. But Draco? I guess it hurt more knowing he wasn't as beautiful as I thought" Hermione whispered and I sat up quietly.

"Mum, Yes I will take care of myself"

"No I have been eating"

"Mum, he means nothing to me anymore" she said and I felt a burn in my chest.

"Yeah bye, love you"

She stood there, clutching the phone. All of a sudden she dropped and slid against the wall, sobbing quietly. I was about to go and rush to her when I remembered, I'm the last person she wants to see right now. So I watched.

And watched. And watched. And watched. And kept watching. For several minutes. Kept watching. Until she pulled a blade.

I watched in horror as she held it against her wrist and cut herself until blood came pouring. She was about to hold it to her other wrist when I leapt off the bed and ran toward her. I quickly removed the blade from her hands.

I picked her up bridal style, plopped her on the bathroom counter and got paper towels and rubbing alcohol. Without saying anything, I cleaned the wound and used the paper towels to stop the bleeding. As I threw everything away, she began crying again.

I tried to move toward her but she put her hand up to stop me.

My head was pounding with questions. She was suicidal? Why? Was it my fault? How long has this been going on???

I tried to move in her direction again, but she kept stopping me. I sighed and walked toward her, this time gently lowering her arm until I was a step away. I cupped her cheek and gently caressed her cheek. I hesitatingly wrapped my hands around her and pulled her close to me.

She cried into my shoulder as she wrapped her arms around my neck. I played with her hair as she sobbed into me. Picking her up, I went to the bed and gently placed her into my lap as she continued crying.

"It's your fault. It's all your fault you selfish asshole. I hate you. I. Hate. You" she repeated as she cried, but still hugging me close while she punched me several times in the chest. I winced. She could punch.

"I'm sorry, so sorry love" I kept saying and she continued crying. She eventually fell asleep and I cradled her before laying her down. I watched her steady breathing as I kissed her forehead.

I went behind her, her back to my chest as I wrapped my hands around her waist, putting hers over mine. I hid my head in her hair and smelled her scent deeply and sighed.

This was probably the last moment I would have with her.

Le Sigh.