Chapter 21: Leader

Draco's P.O.V
________________________________

We had to deal with a long lecture. A very, very, very long one. But it was finally over. After a few years, obviously. We got up to leave and I put my hand on Hermione's back.

"Mr Malfoy, wait for a moment" Professor McGonagol said in soft tone and I turned to Mione and nodded, urging her to go back to the dorm. She nodded and walked out.

"Yes Professor?" I asked politely.

"Two things had recently come to my attention" she said calmly.

What the fuck did I do now.

"Number one. It had greatly pleased me to see that you have changed in spite of recent events. You have become a kind and honourable man, someone you mother would be terribly proud of" she said and I glowed with happiness.

"On another note," she said, frowning a little "I have also found out about your...relationship with Hermione Granger." She said and I took in a sharp breath. But she just smiled.

"Take care of her. She is a lucky find." she said, smiling even more as she walked over to the door to hold it open for me.

I opened and closed my mouth, in shock that she didn't yell at me. That's a first.

"Thank you Professor" I said, smiling as I walked out the door but stopped abruptly as a question popped into my head.

She was about to close the door but I stopped it with my foot just in time.

"If you don't mind me asking, why did I become head boy? I'm not exactly the role model, or even average student" I asked curiously and she sighed.

"I picked you because of two reasons. Everyone else we picked to choose from thought too highly of themselves. They constantly tried to display their efforts and tried to prove to others their talents and courage. Those people always wanted a reason to make everyone notice how good they were or how brilliant their skills were," she said, smiling sadly.

"But then there was you. You were at war. You are in a violent battle, but not with someone else. With yourself. You thought too low of yourself. You constantly beat yourself up over things you had no control of. You were the boy who was forced to join Voldemort's army. You had to go against everyone you knew and loved, just to please a baldy with poor sense of smell" she continued, making me chuckle.

"You were the boy who had no choice. It wasn't your idea, your moves, your actions. You constantly tried to make yourself better, believing that you were a horrible person. That is one of the reasons I made you head boy. You fought in the face of adversity, but never made a show about it. That was what I saw in you. You had qualities that no one else listed had. A hidden selflessness. I had to make you realise that you were important, you were a leader, you were a preacher, in your own way" she concluded and I felt lost for words.

"I-I" I stuttered, not knowing what to say.

"What about the other reason?" I asked.

"Oh well, I can't tell you that." She said and I almost pouted before shaking my head.

"Also, I found you get quite a bashful when you are complimented." She said and I looked at her, confused.

"You have beautiful eyes" she said and I felt a warmth grow on my face.

"See? You're blushing" she said, laughing.

"Yeah yeah" I replied in embarrassment.

"Have a wonderful evening Draco" she said, still laughing.

"You too" I mumbled before walking out.

I came back into the dorm, expecting to see Hermione so I can relax, but she wasn't there. Frowning a little, I walked to the bathroom and noticed she wasn't in either.

I left the dorm and checked the hallway.
Still not there. Huh?

I was about to head back when I heard what sounded like a muffled scream. Oh shit. I ran to where the sound came from and found the room of requirement.

I calmly walked in, even though I felt like screaming internally. I crept around and tried to find anything when I heard a whimper. My head snapped in is direction and I saw something move. It was a person.

I sneaked up on them and caught their wrists.

"Gotcha!" I said loudly and the person turned.

It was...Crabbe?

"Huh?" we said in unison. He looked startled before twisting out of my grasp and running off. I was about to run after him when I heard another soft whimper.

Turning my head, I spotted someone crouched on to the floor. Gulping, a walked toward them. I got down into their level and lifted their head. I could recognise that hair anywhere.

"Hermione???" I said loudly and she flinched. It was too dark to see her fully, so I pulled out my flashlight. I gasped.

Her beautiful face was damaged. Her left eye was black and there was a large bruise on her cheek. Her nose and lip were bleeding and her hands were bloody with cuts. Her sleeve was pulled up and something was written on her right arm. I lifted it a little and she flinched again. Mudblood. Oh no. I looked at her left arm where Bellatrix did the same thing and noticed that now, both her arms were branded.

I looked back up at her face and grazed my finger along her cheekbone. I was going to murder whoever did this. No one harms my girlfriend and gets away with it. I am going to rip their skull from their head and crack in half. It was then I noticed she was crying.

With no hesitation, I picked her up and put her into my lap, resting my head in her soft hair. She put her face in my neck and cried. Her arms went around my neck and mine around her waist.

"I will kill whoever did this. I swear on my life I will kill them" I said in a venomous tone and she nodded. I mumbled re-assuring things and she eventually fell asleep. I gently kissed her forehead and leaned my head back.

I am going to stab Crabbe if it's the last thing I do. And I will not show mercy.