Chapter 20: Bullies

Hermione's P.O.V
________________________________

"So what do you say gorgeous, be my girlfriend?" He asked nervously.

Oh my god no way. He was not asking me this. GAAAAHHHHHH. What do I do. What do I say. Yes. Of course. 100%. No that's seems desperate. Absolutely. Nah. Give him a cheesy answer. Actually what if...

"You know what...sorry I shouldn't have...I just...too soon...I uhh" he said, getting off me. A look of hurt and pain crossed his face.

"Where are you going?" I asked with a smile, getting off the extremely comfy floor.

"I umm" he said, looking confused.

"I never gave you my answer you know" I said clearly and his eyes lit up with hope.

"What- my bad. I just thought because you didn't say anything that you didn't want to date me and I was moving too fast and-" he started rambling and I cut him off with a soft kiss. I felt his tense muscles relax under my touch.

"Yes I'll be your girlfriend" I responded, resting my forehead against his and he opened and closed his mouth several times.

"You'll- you'll what?" He asked, as if he didn't hear me properly the first time.

"You heard me. Yeah I'll be your girlfriend." I said and he let out a happy laugh before kissing all over my face.

"Thank you thank you thank you thank you" he chanted over and over and I smiled as he kissed me gently.

We lay like that for a while, resting in a comfortable silence.

"Come on, it's getting late," he paused, smirking, "sweetheart" he said and I groaned, feeling a warmth spread across my face. He grinned at my embarrassment. We continued talking as we walked back to the gate. I got to know him, and I confessed a few things too.

"You were scared of strawberries?!" I asked through fits of laughter. He nodded, his cheeks dusting a light pink. He's blushing!

"Are you blushing?" I asked, going into another fit of uncontrollable laughter.

He turned away and I pinched his cheeks. He glared at me, but I could see his lips twitch.

"I'm not blushing, so stop with this nonsense." He snapped and I immediately froze, being silent. He glanced at me and sighed.

"Mione-" he started but I fastened my pace. He grabbed my hand and spun me right back into his chest. I looked away and he sighed again.

"You can't be nice and then a bitch all of a sudden." I mumbled.

"I know," he said, putting his forehead against mine, "That. Is. Why. I. Am. Trying. To. Change." he said between kisses. I fought the urge to smile when he kissed my cheek.

"I know you hate my mood swings and bitchy/asshole behaviour but...I can't help it. This is my normal. I've been doing it for so long I can't really tell wrong from right, I'm sorry. I'm trying, you know? I'm trying so hard not to be a asshole so this can work" he said while his thumb caressed my cheek softly.

I smiled, knowing that he was in fact trying, and it made me so happy to realise he was changing because of me. He grinned seeing this and pecked me on my nose.

"Come on, before MacGonagol realises-" he started but was cut off.

"Realised what, Mr Malfoy?" a stern voice said from behind us and I gulped, turning around.

There, standing right behind us, was Proffesor MacGonagol. I gulped again.

"Evening, P-Proffesor" Draco stuttered out.

"Good evening to you too" she said.

"How long have you been standing there?" I asked in a quiet voice.

"Mr Malfoy I didn't know you were afraid of strawberries" she said in an amused tone, as if she found this entire situation funny.

"I uhh" he said and sighed in embarrassment.

"And you, Ms Granger, I didn't know you are getting bullied" she said, a frown on her face.

My eyes widened and I choked on my saliva. That was nearly 30 minutes ago! How long had she been standing there???

*Flashback (30 minutes)*

"Nobody can hate you. You're smart and pretty and funny" he said in a honest tone.

I stayed silent.

"Name one person who hates you" he asked curiously and I sighed. I could think of more.

"Pansy, Crabbe and Goyle..." i muttered.

"They...don't hate you" he said, sighing.

"They do" I retorted.

"How?" He asked and I felt my heart clench.

"They...they bully me" I said and he froze, grabbing my wrists and pulling me toward himself. I gulped and looked into his eyes.

"How?" He asked softly and I kept silent. "How, Hermione?" He said again, his tone still soft but more demanding.

"Every time I see them, they insult me. They call me names, they call me fat, they call me ugly. They make my existence hell. They punched me a couple times, pushed me into a lake and tried stabbing me in a classroom once. You...you don't know how it feels Draco," I said, my voice breaking as I looked into his livid eyes that were blazing with anger and hate.

"you don't know how it feels! To be told you aren't good enough, you aren't pretty enough or that you don't live up to standards. You don't know how it feels to be living in a nightmare. You don't understand how it feels to finally give in to the threats, give in to the insults and simply take it in. You can't ever imagine having to bear pain so much to a point where you start believing what they say. I can't look at myself the same anymore. You don't...you won't ever know how it feels." I said, my words coming out in a whisper.

He gently grabbed my chin and looked into my eyes. He had a fire in them, a look of anger, pain, sorrow and grief.

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry they were my friends. I'm sorry they ever touched you, and I'm gonna make sure they never, ever, ever hurt you again, understand?" He said, kissing my forehead. I nodded.

*Flashback over*

"Well?" She asked, snapping me out of my daydream. I looked at her and sighed.