Chapter 6 The Worst Day pt 1

Start from the beginning

The man held out a small, square, black box and with slight hesitance, Lucy took it. Her mother and the Lawyer watched her a moment, expecting her to open the box. Lucy made no such movement, and thus the meeting carried on.

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

By the time Saturday morning had come, Lucy found herself lying in bed with no real intention of getting up. Her mother knocked on her door and came in, not waiting for a response. Lucy looked at her mother as she walked over to the bed and sat at the end. They had gotten back the day before and if the mourning wasn't exhausting enough, jet-lag filled in.

"You haven't opened it." Her mother spoke looking at the black box on Lucy's night stand.

"Don't want to." Lucy responded looking toward the window.

"You should. Maybe it's something important."

"I doubt that."

Monica slapped her daughters leg with a frown and Lucy asked why she was getting so upset about such a small thing. She said, "It doesn't feel small to me."

A sound from her phone made Lucy look away from her mother. It was a text from Alya asking if she was going to show up to the race between Alix and Kim. Her mother asked if she was going to go and Lucy shrugged.

"Being with friends might be good for you."

Lucy sighed. She didn't really want to go, but she knew her mother wasn't going to let her off. Lucy wanted to be angry, but she knew her mother was just trying to help. She texted Alya she would be there.

"Isn't it so weird how the number of dead people is increasing, though the earth stays the same size, so that one day there isn't going to be a room to bury anyone anymore?" Her mother thought allowed. "There are thousands in the catacombs under Paris. Do people still get buried down there?"

"I don't think so..." Lucy answered unsure of where her mothers mind was at the moment.

"You know," She went on. "Only a few months into our marriage, Your father and I started marking off areas in the apartment as "Nothing Places," in which one could be assured of complete privacy, we agreed that we never would look at the marked-off zones, that they would be nonexistent territories in the apartment in which one could temporarily cease to exist, the first was in the bedroom, by the foot of the bed, we marked it off with red tape on the carpet, and it was just large enough to stand in, it was a good place to disappear, we knew it was there but we never looked at it, it worked so well that we decided to create a Nothing Place in the living room, it seemed necessary, because there are times when one needs to disappear while in the living room, and sometimes one simply wants to disappear, we made this zone slightly larger so that one of us could lie down in it, it was a rule that you never would look at that rectangle of space, it didn't exist, and when you were in it, neither did you, for a while that was enough, but only for a while."

"Mom are you alright?"

Monica smiled sadly. "Honestly?"

"Preferably."

"I'm furious. It wasn't supposed to be like this."

Lucy watched her mother and bit her lip. She then reached for the box on her night stand.

"Lets see what we got here, yeah?"

Her mother nodded and Lucy opened the box slowly. Her eyebrows pushed together as she pulled out a small sliver pocket watch. Lucy raised an eyebrow as she examined the watch.

"I know dad was a little old fashioned but I never saw him use a pocket watch."

Monica raised her eyebrows and shrugged. "I...honestly can't say I have ever seen that before."