Chapter 29 Mercy

Been waiting for this one. This chapter is somewhat inspired by the song 'Mercy' by Lewis Capaldi. In fact, most, but not all, of my chapters have a musical inspiration to them. I usually don't use song titles as chapter titles but I made an exception for this one. You, of course, don't have to listen to the song but if you are looking for the mood I'm going for, then that might be something that will help you do so. I might even put in a few of the lyrics in this chapter here and there just for that purpose. I don't usually care for that kind of stuff but if you enjoy a lyrical input here and there let me know and I'll try and incorporate it more. I know some people have playlists for their chapters which I can only assume is for that reason. Anyway! I hope you enjoy this chapter!

For every second you've been talking
I've been trying to count the lines around your face
'Cause I don't know if I'll ever be this close again

When Friday afternoon came, Lucy found herself sitting with Alya and Marinette while they ate lunch. Apparently, Alya and Nino, though probably more Alya, was attempting to set up a triple date that evening. Andre was a semi-famous ice-cream seller, whose ice cream was rumored to have magical love properties. You could get normal ice cream of course, but what most people found him for was his sweetheart's ice cream. The idea was that Andre's ice cream if eaten alone would bring two loves together, and if those loves shared one of his ice creams, they would be together forever. It was a sweet sentiment. Lucy wasn't sure she really believed in magical ice cream having any influence over anything really, but a part of her hoped there was some truth to it. The game plan was that Alya and Nino, Mylene and Ivan, and perhaps Adrien and Marinette would go on the hunt for Andre, who apparently didn't stay in the same place for long. Lucy watched the girls giggle over the possibility of Marinette and Adrien sharing a sweethearts ice cream and shook her head. If Lucy had been invited to an outing with two couples along with one other single person, she knew she would be able to put the pieces together. However, she knew when it came to Adrien, the boy would be almost completely oblivious. She glanced around the courtyard to spot the boy of topic standing near the stairs talking to Nino. As if feeling her eyes on him, he turned his head to meet her gaze and smiled.

"So do you think you can come?" Nino asked Adrien as he brought his attention back to the conversation. Adrien scratched the back of his head and shrugged.

"I don't know man, you know how my dad is. I'll try and make it but I can't guarantee anything."

Nino sighed and nodded. Of course, he knew how Adrien's dad was. Though if he was honest, the only reason he was pushing to ask was because of Alya. When he had asked her to get ice cream with him for the first time, thanks to Ivan and Mylene's suggestion, he expected it to be a normal double date. As she usually did, however, Alya found a way to include Marinette in hopes to pair her with Adrien. Nino dug Marinette. She was a super cool chick and under different circumstances, he would totally be rooting for her. After all, he had had a crush on her himself before he realized how much in common he had with Alya. Unfortunately, Nino was well aware of Adrien's feelings for a particular blonde girl. The worse part was Nino couldn't explain this to Alya. Adrien had made him promise to keep it to himself. That was bro code. To make it even harder, he couldn't explain why he might be trying to push Adrien with Marinette because of his promise to Alya. That was the girlfriend code. So instead, he went along with his girlfriend's plans in hopes that eventually they would let it go. Nino had made the mistake of falling in love with a beautiful, intelligent, stubborn girl who wanted nothing more than to see her best friend be happy with the guy she wanted. He could only hope that in the end, everything would work itself out. What Nino didn't know was that although Adrien was being honest in not knowing if his father would allow him to be apart of the ice cream adventure with his friends, he already had plans of his own. Or at least he hoped he did. After all, Lucy did say she would only think about it. He really hoped she would show up though. A nice, romantic evening for them to talk and clear the air.