TRS - Part Ten

After breakfast the princess and I continued to bond.

We went for a walk in the gardens, talking about the games we used to play as children.

Surprisingly, she was quite the tomboy! Adventuring, climbing trees, football and the sport we bonded over most - volleyball.

I'd definitely like to see her play some time, although I didn't think Princesses were allowed to play games like that.

When I questioned this, the princess just smiled sweetly and somehow changed the subject.

We had lunch together, and went to the library to discuss our favourite books.

By the end of the day I didn't want to leave her side.

She had such a funny, cocky, clumsy personality. She was spontaneous and impulsive. She annoyed the hell out of me.

I was enraptured by her entire being.

My father also noticed as we were eating our evening meal.

'Well, well! You two seem to be getting along marvelously!' The king interjected as we were laughing over something the princess had said.

I looked to my father and back to the princess.

'I....think so too.'

I hesitantly said. I know we were doing this for our countries but I didn't want to speak on behalf of the princess.

'Of course we are your highness! Your son is very adept at keeping me entertained. He was raised very well, indeed'

My father beamed at this praise as I felt my cheeks grow pink.

'Very good! Now Princess Tooru, I believe it is your last night with us tonight and tomorrow morning you leave?'

'I will be sad to go, I have felt very welcome here and thoroughly enjoyed my stay'

'You are, of course, welcome to visit anytime though, my princess' I spoke up in a rush, does she have to go so soon?

I then quickly looked to my father, realising that I had spoken out of place. It is not my castle, I should not be extending invites.

Whilst I expected my father to disapprove of my sudden invitation, it appeared that I had actually pleased him as he was smiling from ear to ear.

'You are welcome here anytime princess. In fact, in two weeks time we are holding a ball, I'm sure my son would be pleased as well if you were to join us.'

The princess looked at me expectantly and I nodded my head in agreement with my father.

'Then I would be honoured to attend, your highness.'

I felt the excitement build up in my stomach, knowing I would be able to see her so soon.

We finished eating our meal, happily chattering away.

I offered to escort the princess to her room and as we went to leave my father called me back.

'Apologies, Princess Tooru, if you wouldn't mind waiting for just a moment, my son will be with you shortly'

I headed back over to where my father was seated and stood next to him.

'Hajime, it seems this princess agrees with you.'

'We do get along well'

'In which case, you have no reason to refuse the marriage.'

'......I do not'

I conceded defeat easily.

'Excellent. The ball in two weeks time would be perfect timing for you to formally ask for her hand.'

'.....yes, father.'

Whilst I had conceded defeat, I didn't expect to have to propose so quickly.

'I shall make the necessary preparations, you have done well Hajime.'

My father smiled at me proudly as he excused me from the room.

I left to escort the princess to her room.

'Everything okay, Hajime?'

The princess had obviously noticed me being quiet as she peered at my face whilst we walked.

'Yeah, everything's fine.'

I smiled at her and made conversation as we walked trying to distract myself from my thoughts.

I bade the princess goodnight and continued on to my own room, lost in thought.

Akira turned up along the way.

'Was everything okay today, sir?'

'Yeah, everything went really well!'

'And the princess..... was....... acceptable?'

Ah, he was referring to our conversation from the previous night.

-if you have any suspicions and doubt about a certain guest's behaviour-

I thought back to the princess' hand on my thigh and tried to act as normal as possible as I replied.

'We actually get along really well...'

I then continued to give him a basic rundown of the day as we reached my chambers and I prepared myself for bed. I cant be bothered to tell him the details and he definitely doesn't need to know about what happened at breakfast.

'It sounds like you are smitten with this princess, sir'

I stopped in my tracks and turned to Akira.

'Smitten?'

'Yes, sir. It seems you may have found a good match. I am glad you get along well with the princess....'

He paused before continuing.

'However, if you ever have any worries, though I am just a servant....you may voice them to me if you believe it would help'

Wow.

Akira wasn't treating me like the prince, more like a friend and this is the first time it has ever happened.

I was touched.

'Thanks, Akira.'

I finished getting ready for sleep and dismissed Akira.

Once I was in bed, my mind went back to what Akira had said.

I'm smitten?

With the Princess?

I'm not sure about that....

My mind then seamlessly merged with my thoughts from after dinner.

Is this moving too quickly? I know I dont really have a choice but...... we've only known each other a day!

I know I feel strongly for the princess but is this love?

I'm definitely physically attracted to her but emotionally?

I have nothing to compare the emotion too.

But.... I suppose it wouldn't be so bad being married to her.....

I fell asleep thinking only of Princess Tooru.