TRS - Part Seven

I returned to my room with Akira as the useless Yutaro ran away to help prepare the banquet hall for this evening.

We moved swiftly through the tall, dimly lit corridors, not even sharing a glance until we had reached my quarters and the door was safely shut.

'Akira, what do you know?'

'Whatever do you mean sir?'

Akira tried to play dumb

'You were the one to give me those warnings all day.'

'I am merely ensuring you show our guest behaviour fitting of the royalty of this kingdom.'

I tried to stare him down with my most intimidating look.

'Sir, your face is turning into that of Frankenstein's monster. I must request you never show that expression in public.'

'Graaaaaah!'

I let out a shout of indignance. I knew it was useless to try to intimidate Akira, though it works so well on the other servants.

'However, sir. Whilst I cannot say a bad word about our guest as I am just a lowly servant, if you have any suspicions and doubt about a certain guest's behaviour, I would not be able to disagree with you.'

And there we have Akira, master of twisting words to somehow tell me that he is wary of the princess.

'Hmmm, she does seem awfully forward with me. I imagine her father has possibly given her the same task as my father has given me.'

'That could certainly be true sir. The alliance going ahead would surely be fruitful for both. The princess certainly seems keen, based on your conversation in the library'

Akira seemed to be holding back. That last sentence seemed a bit odd and out of place, maybe that is a hint?

'I'm not sure how much you saw or heard earlier, Akira, but the princess seems to be acting very forward with a person she has only just met.'

A hint of a smile appeared on Akiras usually expressionless features.

'Is that so sir, it appeared to me as though she was trying to show you her best features and capture your heart.'

Okay, I understand.

Akira believes the princess is trying to seduce me in order to hasten the alliance going forward.

I thought about the princess. Her gorgeous, slender figure. Long, brunette waves of hair. Eyes, so deep and enticing. Hands, so dainty and delicate. Finally, her eyes, a pool, swimming with desire, inviting me in.

Is there really a problem if she is trying to win my heart so badly for her country?

Doesn't that show her noble side and the commitment she has to following her duty?

I voiced the same to Akira who responded sensibly as always.

'Of course sir, that may be the case. However, if you have any doubts then you should question why.'

I thought of his words and then thought of the princess who showed such an air of elegance and confidence.

Maybe it wouldn't be such a bad idea to get to know this princess, under the watchful eye of Akira of course.

As we held this conversation, Akira had helped me change into my formal evening wear and we left my quarters to collect the princess who was awaiting my return.

In silence we continued through the corridors, not speaking another word on our thoughts of the princess.

The walls have ears, you know.