TRS - Part Fifteen

Guests had started arriving and the party was in full swing.

In a very modest, formal sort of way.

There were small pockets of aristocrats dotted around the ballroom.

The talk was mostly of politics and nonsense but, fortunately, my role at this moment in time was to greet the guests as they arrived.

Once I heard the signal of a newly arrived guest, my ears pricked up and my eyes darted eagerly towards the entrance.

Upon seeing another guest I had no interest in arrive, I would quietly excuse myself from whatever boring conversation someone had started up to head over to the entrance and greet the guests.

'Ah, prince Tobio, I'm glad you could make it.'

I shook hands with a boy just a few years younger than myself.

'Please, do make yourself comfortable. There are waiters serving drinks and canapes, help yourself and mingle'

I guided the sullen boy who had apparently been sent on behalf of his country as his parents couldn't make it.

I searched the room for the guest I felt  would keep him company and spotted the bright orange hair almost immediately.

I led the prince over toward the orange sun and proceeded to introduce them.

'Prince Shoyo, this is Prince Tobio. He has also been sent on behalf of his parents and you are the same age. I'm sure you two may have plenty to talk about.'

The short, carrot topped boy excitedly looked between myself and Prince Tobio.

'Tobio, it's a pleasure to meet you! What country are you from? So we're the same age? But you're so much taller than me! So what food do you like? Do you play any sports?'

I backed away from the whirlwind that was Prince Shoyo, noting the uncomfortable look and slightly pink cheeks on Prince Tobio.

Maybe I made a mistake introducing them?

Ah well, Shoyo will become friends with him in no time. It always starts like that with him.

I continued a while longer, mingling with the guests. As the night wore on, I could feel myself becoming more deflated as the guest arrivals slowed down.

Is she not even coming?

As I spoke to a politician from a neighbouring country I heard a very late arrival announcement.

'Princess Tooru has arrived'

I spun towards the door and there she was.

Standing tall in a gorgeous flowing dress that hugged her features. Her long, curled locks flowing down her chest, a small tiara placed delicately on her head.

I quickly excused myself and headed towards the princess.

There was an issue, however....

As I made my way through the throngs of guests, I listened to their whispers.

'Isn't Princess Tooru so beautiful?'

'She's so graceful'

'She's the most eligible bachelorette right now'

'I heard she has men falling at her feet asking for her hand in marriage'

'I was told that she has rejected over 10 princes just in the past week!'

'Apparently, she's not ready to marry....'

'She has rejected some of the most handsome and richest princes around because she hasn't met anyone special enough.'

'I heard the king here is trying to push his son into a marriage with her'

'Prince Hajime sure is handsome and the country is doing well but.....'

'She's rejected so many men, I doubt the prince has any chance'

'Oh well, I don't mind. I'll take the prince if she doesn't want him!'

'Prince Hajime can cry into my chest anytime!'

'I feel so bad for the prince.'

'That princess is such a man eater'

The conversation was very much the same and it definitely affected me, as much as I tried to ignore it.

By the time I reached the princess my feelings were trampled and I already felt I had lost.

Despair and anger rumbling inside, I finally reached the princess, stopping about 5 foot away.

'Hajime!'

The princess turned to me, her face transforming into a massive grin.

'Princess Tooru, welcome'

I bent into a low bow, hiding my face which I am sure betrayed my emotion.

'Hajime.....?'

The princess called my name inquisitively and took a step toward me.

Before she could get any closer a plastered on a fake smile and drew myself upright.

'Princess, there are waiters with drinks and food at your service. I hope you enjoy your evening.'

Before she could say another word, I took another quick bow and turned swiftly away, concealing myself in the crowd as I heard her call my name.

I mad my way across the room, looking for a place I could retreat to and get myself in order.

I quietly slipped out the room and found a dark corner.

My hand instinctively reached into my trouser pocket and started playing with the velvet box, concealed inside.

Unable to make any sense of my thoughts, I took a few deep breaths, softly clapped my cheeks and spoke softly to myself.

'Get it together, Hajime.'

I reprimanded myself and sighed.

I knew what I had to do.

So I ignored my head and my heart. I straightened up my back and headed back into the ball.