TRS - Part Eleven

I woke up naturally for once but with a hollow feeling in my stomach.

Still barely awake, I tried to make sense of the mixed emotions stirring inside.

Ah.

The princess leaves today.

It surprised me just how much it bothered me.

I rolled out of bed to get ready for the day, eager to spend some time with the princess before she left.

What time is she leaving anyway?

*knock knock*

'Prince Hajime!'

I could tell it was Yutaro from the slight rush in his speech.

The door opened and Yutaro's face peered in. When he spotted me the shock was evident on his face.

'Prince Hajime, you're awake and up!'

I finished straightening my shirt and checked my hair in the mirror, ignoring Yutaro.

'He must be keen to see the princess before she goes.'

I heard Akira's monotone voice chime in.

'Ah! Then you must hurry Prince Hajime! We came to inform you that the princess has been called home urgently, she is preparing herself to leave right away.'

What?

Now?

I didn't think she would leave so early....

I immediately ran from the room heading straight to the chamber the princess had been using.

'Prince Hajime!'

I ignored Yutaro's calls as I dashed away, well aware hd wouldn't be able to keep up with my sprint.

I skidded to a halt outside princess Tooru's room, politely knocked but threw the door open anyway.

Empty.

I heard Yutaro wheezing as came down the corridor after me.

'Prince Hajime......th-the prin-princess.....is leaving....n-now!'

Yutaro managed to explain through his ragged breathing.

I darted over to the window in what was the princess' room. It faced the courtyard where the entrance to the castle was.

Sure enough, the carriage was outside , attendants were putting the last of the luggage on the cart as I saw the princess about to start ascending the steps into the carriage.

Princess Tooru!

I shouted this internally, as much as I wanted to call out to her, my position does not allow me to act so casually.

However, it was as if she could hear me calling her name as she turned to face the window once more before climbing the steps.

Our eyes locked and she wore a sad smile.

I cant let her go without saying anything.

'Wait!'

Forget my position.

The princess stopped in shock and a warm, knowing smile replaced the sad expression she previously donned.

I turned from the window as the princess turned away from me and continued to climb into her seat.

I ran as fast as I could through the castle, I'm not sure if my heart was pounding due to the exercise or the stress of trying to reach the princess before she left.

I barged through the main entrance to the castle, huffing and panting as I slowed to a stop outside.

'Princess!'

The attendant had just closed the door to allow the carriage to leave.

I jogged over to the door as it opened and the princess leaned out.

'You're leaving without saying goodbye?'

I couldn't disguise the hurt in my voice.

'Oh Hajime...'

The princess was in distress.

'It makes it more difficult for me to leave when you are here.'

The princess explained honestly, smiling another sad smile.

'I....I'll miss you....princess'

I dont quite know where the words were coming from, I was speaking without thinking.

'I'll miss you too, Hajime'

The princess quickly glanced to her left just past the open door to the carriage. I also took a glance to see all the servants watching us.

My face heated up knowing they were watching this exchange, though they would not be able to hear what was being said.

The princess leaned back inside her carriage concealing herself from the servants.

She beckoned me closer with one long, dainty finger.

I instinctively leaned inside the carriage.

The princess roughly grabbed my shirt at my chest and pulled me closer so there were only a few inches between our noses.

'How about I give you something to remember me by'

She huskily whispered in her low tones through her wicked grin.

I barely had time to blink before I realised her lips were on mine.

I instinctively pulled back through surprise but the princess' iron grip wasnt letting me go anywhere.

It took only a moment for me to melt into her kiss, she felt me relax and took advantage, forcing her tongue into my mouth.

My mind went blank as our tongues intertwined.

I snapped back to reality as someone cleared their throat behind me.

I yanked myself back, my whole face burning up and turning beet red.

I pulled away from the carriage to see that Akira was standing behind the open carriage door.

Did he see?

My mind was now blank from the panic that set in, not knowing if we had been caught.

The awkward silence was broken by a small giggle.

I turned to the princess and she called me closer once more.

'That should help get you through the next two weeks until we meet again.'

She smiled innocently.

'I'll see you soon, darling.'

With one final smile, the princess relaxed back in her seat, the door was closed and the carriage departed.

I was left behind in the courtyard, my mind still in a daze.