Part 43

ANNABETH

'Persephone? Yeah sure, I guess. In some senses.' Dionysus says, playing with a grapevine between his fingers, 'technically Semele is my mum, but you know. The family tree is pretty messy. In some versions Persephone is my mother, yes.'
'How does that even work?' Will asks.
'Think of it like alternate timelines.' I say, 'there are an infinite amount of timelines, so in some, Semele is the mother, in others, Persephone. The gods are just a combination of all the timelines. Got it?'
'No.'
'Perfect.'
'Okay, well this was fun, I'm going to leave now.' Dionysus says, standing from his chair.
'No!' We both say in unison.
'We need to speak to your mother.' I say.
'Okay, kid, we just did this. I got two mums. Which are we talking here?'
'Persephone. It's urgent. Do you know where she is?'
'Course I know where she is, she's my mum. You think I'm a bad son?' We're both silent, 'oh you guys are the worst.'
'Please, can you tell us where she is?' I plead.
'What's in this for me?' He asks.
'You could save someone's life.' Will says.
'Piper lives on a massive vineyard. The biggest in America. I'll arrange it so that we arrange field trips there and you can be one of the chaperones.' I say, knowing Will's attempt to win him over won't work.
'I want that monthly.' He says.
'Yearly.' I counter.
'A month every year.'
'You can go for a week each year. That's it.' I say.
'Fine. Done. Persephone's in Central Park. There's a bench she likes. Far East side. You'll know her when you see her.'
'Thank you.' I say.
'Thank you so much.' Will says.
'Get out of here. And if I don't have confirmation from Chiron about this trip I will personally tutor you on the history of wine for three hours every day for the rest of your life.'
'I swear.' I say, as Will drags me outside.
'We need to go. Now.' Will says, 'split up. Get everyone. Think of a way to get to Central Park quickly.'
'Already on it.'