Part 8

WILL

Nico seems manic as he sets up the iris calls, moving to the far side of the infirmary to get some privacy and running the sink or water.
I go to close the curtain, certain he'll want privacy, but he takes my hand and pulls me in.
'Do you mind?' He asks, 'I just want you to be here.'
'Of course.' I say, clutching his hand a little tighter before letting go and sitting to one side, letting him make the calls.
'Hazel Levesque.' He says, as he makes the call. The fields of SPQR open up to show Hazel beside Frank, walking and talking intently.
'Hazel!' He falls out, moving forward slightly, as if on reflex trying to reach out to her, 'Hazel!'
'Nico?' She says on seeing him, moving closer to the image. She too reaches out her hand only to have it fall limply to her side, 'is everything okay?'
'I...I don't know.' He says. He looks to me briefly and then back to her, 'I've been having dreams.'
'Oh Gods.' Frank says, letting out a sigh. We all know how serious dreams our in our world.
'To do with me?' She asks, carefully. She's a child of Hades too, and Nico always tells me she can sense death better than he can.
'Yes.' He says, 'I want to come to your camp. I...I don't know what's going on, but I miss you, and I want to come, just to be safe.'
'Nico, you're always welcome here.' She says, 'but these dreams...'
'I'll tell you more when I see you. I'll try be there in the next couple of days.' He says. I don't know how to react to the news of him leaving. I don't know if he's always been planning to leave or if this was just a spur of the moment decision. But I don't want him to go.
'Nico, is everything alright?' She asks.
'It's fine.' He says, 'I'm sorry, I'll see you soon Hazel. I need to make another call.'
'Okay. I love you.' She says, smiling weakly.
'Love you too.' He says, swiping his arm through the image to close off the call. He stands there for a moment, worn out.
'You're leaving?' I ask, unable to hold it in.
'I have to.' He says, 'I need to make sure she's okay. But...'
'What?'
'Do you want to come?' He asks, and I can tell he's scared. He wants me to come, but he doesn't want to put me out. He doesn't want to force me to do anything.
'Yeah. Yes. Of course. I'd love to.' I say, 'I mean, I'd have to sort some things out with my siblings, but yes.'
'Really?'
'Nico, I have been in this camp for years. I would love to go.' I say.
'Okay, yes. That's...amazing. Okay. I need to call Thalia.' He sets up the other call, but the service is weak. I see a glimpse of Thalia.
'Thalia!' He calls out, 'Thalia!'
'Nico?' I hear her voice but it's distant.
'Thalia, I think you're in danger.' He says, trying to pronounce his words, 'go to SPQR. Or Camp half blood.'
'Nico? Is that you?' She asks again.
'Thalia!' He calls out, 'SPQR. Camp Half blood.'
I can't make out what she says. It doesn't make sense. The call cuts out.
Nico looks to me, and I can see the worry in his eyes. I know Thalia vaguely. She was always a big name around camp and everyone always knew when she was here. But I'd never actually talked to her.
'I'm sure she's okay. She's with the hunters. And probably with Artemis.' I say, 'she'll call you back when she can.'
'Yeah.' He says, but he's unconvinced. He turns to me and attempts to smile slightly, 'Okay, so sort your siblings out. We leave tomorrow.'