Part 41

ANNABETH

It only takes a couple days before the affects begin to take place. Percy has trouble controlling the water, the Hephaestus cabin can't make any of their projects work, my cabin is lacking inspiration - we're all having opposing thoughts that we can't fit into place. It's chaos around camp. But it's clearly working.
Percy and I sit at He edge of the water, the waves just about reaching our feet. He doesn't want to go fully in the water in case he can't breathe. So we stay here, trying to distract ourselves from the chaos of the camp.
But then the waves ripple and split, and a man walks out. Percy is on his feet, his sword in hand, in an instant. I grab my own sword and stand beside him.
'Percy is that...' I say, but fall short.
'Dad?' Percy asks, dropping his sword to his side. I lower mine slightly too.
'Percy.' He says, nodding slightly, 'Annabeth.'
'Hi.' I say, not really sure how to respond in this situation. We knew something along these lines would happen soon, but I still am no more prepared for it.
'I wish I came in more favourable circumstances.' He says, talking directly to Percy.
'Me too.' Percy replies.
'So you know why I'm here. I thought you were dead. I thought something might have happened.' He says.
'You were worried?' Percy asks, scoffing a little.
'What is going on?' He asks, ignoring Percy's question.
'Hades took Nico. We want him back.' He says, carefully and slowly.
'Percy, you know I have no say in the afterlife. That is my brother's concern and I cannot help you. If Nico died, then he belongs there.' He says, anger seeping a little into his words.
'He didn't die. Hades tricked him. He wanted Nico in the underworld. He took his life.'
'Even so, it's none of my concern.' Poseidon says, turning slightly.
'Yes it is.' He says, 'as your only sons - Tyson, you might have realised, is on board too - we are done, with sacrifices, quests, all of the above. Unless Nico is returned to us.'
'Percy, do you know what you're saying.'
'I do.' He says, calmly, 'we all do. None of us will do anything, for any of the Gods, until you make Hades return Nico.'
'This is a mistake, Percy.' He says.
'You know we'll win this.' Percy replies, carefully, 'I don't want to do this. I respect you, mostly. Just talk to the other Gods, see what you can do. Please.'
'It's not my business, Percy.' He says, and slams his tyrant into the ground.
Percy and I both know to look away, but the light still burns a little. I can't see once I open my eyes again, but my vision comes back after a little while.
'Well that went great.' Percy says.
'Give him time.' I say, 'they'll all realise. They'll talk. It'll happen. We just need to wait them out.'