It was at times like these where my lack of pack knowledge and dynamics really showed. I had no idea what this joining ceremony was and asides from birthing pups and being a doting mate, I wasn't sure what other duties a Luna would have.

My confusion must have been apparent.

"Oh dear, it looks like there more work I need to do than I thought," the woman muttered to herself. "Alright Keiran, spit out what you wanted to say. I'm going to get myself some water," Much to my horror, she got up and hobbled her way over the door, intent on leaving me alone with him.
Before she left, she turned, eyeing me for a moment and giving the alpha a pointed look. "Be quick and careful, I want her calm and ready for everything I'm going to teach her," she warned. Her words only added to my confusion as she swiftly left the room, shutting the door with a click.

Aurelius stood there in the corner, looking awkward and uncomfortable. He looked up from the invisible spot on the linoleum he was inspecting so intensely and met my eyes when he felt my gaze.

His blue eyes looked darker today, a deep sapphire instead of their usual crystal colour. I could see the exhaustion and the pain swimming in them, and despite all that he did, it hurt me to see him hurt. I wanted to make his pain go away.

The mate bond was to blame.

His inky hair was messy and he had a stubble across his face. The shirt he wore looked worn and the shadows under his eyes spoke of many sleepless nights.

He moved closer to me and I tensed, preparing for the worst. His grandmother told him to be quick and careful and I had no idea what kind of torture techniques he'd devise to deliver while we were alone.

"I'm not going to hurt you, you know," he muttered as he took the seat the lady occupied before.

"That means nothing to me Alpha," I hissed. He looked down, looking conflicted for a moment before putting on his usual blank mask.

"I'm sorry," he whispered after a moment of silence. I'm sure the words were supposed to warm my heart and melt away my bitterness, but they did the opposite. The fuelled the fire of my rage and pain, making a part of me itch to get out. I quickly tightened the leash on my beast before replying.

"No you're not," I gritted. He looked up at me, surprised with his dark brows furrowed.

"Why would you say that?" He asked defensively. I let out a humourless chuckle and shook my head.

"The smell of your lie is so strong I can taste it in the air," I spat. It was true. His words were not earnest and a part of him disagreed with the words he uttered. He genuinely didn't think locking me up to rot in a cell for two weeks without food and fresh air was wrong.

"Okay. You're right," he leaned back in his chair. His eyes were back to their icy colour and his nonchalant indifference irritated me.

"You're a coward then. Too afraid to say what you truly feel in front of those you love," I stated, looking down at my bandaged wrists and fiddling with one.

"I do not love you!" He snarled. I looked at him with a raised brow. His eyes looked wild as he bared his teeth at me.

"I was referring to your grandmother," I explained in a 'duh' tone. He dropped his snarl and turned away again.

He's a fucking train wreck.

"We all do things we don't want to because it's our duty. Something you'll learn in the next couple of days," he sneered.

"I'm just going to get one thing straight. There will be nothing between us. Ever. We are strangers forced together by fate and I refuse to give in. This stays between us.
Outside, we are Alpha and Luna of the pack. We serve and protect the pack without uttering a word about our personal lives," he hissed. He had leaned forward during his little speech and he was close enough that I could feel his breath on my face.

I closed me eyes and sighed, turning away as I tried to ignore the throbbing pain in my chest.

"And what if I refuse?" I asked, already knowing his answer.

"Then I send you back to the prisons for even worse torture," he finished.

His words only confirmed my suspicions and I sighed in defeat, knowing what my choice would be.