Chapter 30

Sakina

After our last visit with Nada everything went radio silent.
I knew for sure she wasn't going to contact me, but I thought at least she'd contact Sadiya - she didn't.

It's been about six weeks since Ahmad and I decided to start trying, and it's been fun for the most part, but I have this feeling that I can't shake.
We did have to put it all on hold of course because I had to write my last ever first semester exam as an undergrad.
Ahmad wanted us to go away for a while after the exam, he said he had the best winter spots for us to vacation for only two weeks before I had to resume school in January.
That was, of course, before some huge problem occurred at the office and he couldn't get away.

"Are you all set for tonight?" He asked me as he stood in front of the mirror checking his tie.

"Yup" I answered sitting up on the bed, the blanket covered my bare legs from the almost extremely cold temperatures of our room.
No matter how cold it got around Nigeria, Abuja weather barely knocked off a couple of degrees so we had to make do with the AC; creating our very own winter, if you will.

"Did you buy it?" He asked turning to face me.

"Yes I did, last night" I said as I packed my hair on the top of my head with the ribbon around my wrist "would you stop worrying already"

"I can't" he said with wide eyes and a huge smile "this could be it for us" he walked over and held my face in his hands "tonight could change the rest of our lives"

"Okay, Mr optimist, you better go before you're late for the meeting" I pushed him away.

"Okay, bye, love you" he said walking out the door.

"Love you too" I yelled hoping he'll hear me before he's too far away.

The truth is, I'm just as excited as he is.
What if this is actually it for us?
Of course I didn't let myself get so carried away in the 'what if's' and focused more on the reality of it all.

I got out of bed, hours later, after about five episodes of a series I recently picked back up; after abandoning it for almost a year.
I took a quick shower and got dressed; nothing fancy just jeans a plain blue T-shirt and abaya to cover it all up before I go out.

I've been spending the days at home in preparation for the twins' wedding next weekend, while Ahmad deals with his office.

Just as I had grabbed my bag and car keys, my doorbell went off.
I opened the door to find Mariya and Maimuna with our nieces and nephew.

"I was literally on my way to you guys" I said as I stared at them almost in disbelief.

"Change of plans" Mariya said letting herself in, Zee and Lailah followed closely behind her and Muna walked in with Salma's son Abdul in her arms.

I closed the door and follows behind them to the living room.
The girls were already playing and Abdul was on the floor playing with the toy in his hand when he came in.

"Make yourselves at home" I said sarcastically, taking off my abaya.
I put my bag down and sat beside Mariya who was already channel surfing.
There was a little button on the side table, I pressed it and our chef came running in; the button was like a bell that rang anytime I pressed it.