Chapter 20

Here's a short little chapter

Thanks for sticking with me so far 🤗

SAKINA

My heart was in my throat as we walked up the stairs that led to the front door.
It was as if my heart was beating at a million miles per second.
We walked straight into the house and I was shown to the living room.
It was massive and very beautiful.
The royal furniture that decorated the whole room was breathtaking.
As I sat bouncing my heel, Ahmad walked in first and then there she was, coming up behind him; she looked marvelous and so my nerves only got worse.

"Sakina" he said as I got to my feet "This is my mother" he introduced me.
I squatted and greeted her.

"Maama, this is Sakina"

"MashaAllah, give me a hug" she said moving closer and engulfing me in an enormous bear hug "It's nice to finally meet you my dear"

"Bitit kalim arabi kaman ya mama" (She speak Arabic too, Maama) Ahmad said and you could see her instantly like me just a tad bit more.

"Bi gad?! Ya'ani ahfadi hai kalimu arabi kaman" (Really? That's means my grandchildren will speak Arabic too!) she said and I laughed a little.
The rest of the conversation was all in Arabic; I could see why Ahmad chose to open with that. It seemed to make her more keen on talking.

"What do you want to do when you graduate?" She asked me, I had to take a second to think because I wasn't really sure.

"Well, I want to be a teacher. Preferably nursery and primary; that's when one makes the most impact on the kids, building them up to be the kind of adults we need" Maama nodded, I think she liked my answer.

"She also writes, Maama, you should see some of her work. She's extremely talented"

"I wouldn't say extremely..." I said shyly.

"If Ahmad sings your praises then I'm sure you must be doing something right" she said smiling at me "You'll have to send me some of your work, maybe I can share them with some of my publisher friends" my mouth dropped, I had to mentally pick it back up.

"Really, that's amazing, thank you" I was at a loss for words.
This woman truly is incredible.
The first thought that came to my mind when I met her was 'stunning'. She has a certain elegance to her that just makes her glow and her kindness matches her beauty and, I'm sure, enhances it.

"Anything for my daughter" she said.
This was going better than I ever could've imagine.
I was so sure I wouldn't even be able to speak a word in her presence and I was almost a hundred percent certain she would hate me and my very existence.

"Ahmad, your brothers are coming over for lunch with their wives soon, can Sakina stay?" She asked him and he looked to me to give her an answer.

"I would love to, but I'm supposed to run an errand with my mother, I'm sorry"

"That's perfectly fine, very soon we'll have you all to ourselves" she said.

"We should get going" Ahmad said getting to his feet.
His mother stood up too and I followed suit.

"Thank you for having me" I said before we left.

"It was nice to have finally met you, dear, and I'm excited to see more of you very soon" she said walked off into the house.

I followed Ahmad out of the house and to the car, just as we were about to get in two identical black cars pulled up side by side.
From them, two men emerged followed by two women, and with them was a young man who looked awfully like my Ahmad, maybe he's Ali?
I recognized one of the women to be Nada and I imagined the man she was with was Khalid.
Which just made the other two Omar and Sadiya.
I greeted them and said hello to their wives.
I noticed that Nada didn't really much acknowledge my presence unlike Sadiya, who engulfed me in a huge hug and expressed how glad she was to meet me.
I congratulated Nada on her recent nuptials, regardless of her demeanor towards me.
"I have to get her home, so I'll see you all when I get back" we said goodbye and we drove off.
Ahmad dropped me off at home and was on his way back immediately.