Chapter 23

I will be gone for a few weeks but there will be an update as soon I possibly can
Thank you for your anticipated patience ❤️
Happy reading 🥰

The cat's out of the bag now.

No one knew exactly what to say.

"Mama, what does she mean?" A boy emerged from behind Khadijah looking confused; the boy looked no older than  Muneerah, Sakina thought.

"Is she telling the truth?" Heba asked moving closer to them.

"Of course she is, Maama" Ahmad answered immediately.

"No, Ahmad, I want to hear it from her" she said looking right at Khadijah "Answer me, please"
Khadijah couldn't form words so she nodded slowly.

"Did you know about this?" Heba turned to Ahmad this time.

"No" he answered "I only knew that Sakina was adopted, but I never knew it was her"

"I only met her yesterday myself, and like I told her I have nothing to say to her" Sakina said not shifting her gaze even for a second from Khadijah's eyes.

"I'll be in the car, Ahmad" she added and walked right past Khadijah and who she deduced to be her little half brother; she didn't have the time to stop and really think about it.

"Khadijah, you have some explaining to do" Heba said placing her hands on her hips.
Khadijah nodded and followed closely behind Heba as she walked them to her room.

"You kids stay here, Aunty Khadijah and I need some privacy" Heba instructed hers and Khadijah's youngest children.

"Now, tell me everything" Heba instructed as they sat down on her couch.

"For you to understand, I have to start from the very beginning"

•••
20 Years Ago

It was late one afternoon; I was cooking for my in-laws.
They had just arrived from Maidugiri to our home in Kaduna and so I had to play the host and cater to their every need.

My in-laws weren't the friendliest of people, but they tried, but i knew that if my husband was anybody else, they wouldn't be so inclined.

"Keh Mairo, har yanzu ba ki gama abinci ba?" (Mairo, you're still not done cooking yet?) His sister asked as she walked into the kitchen looking down on me and everything inside as if we disgusted her.

"Na kusa" (I'm almost done) I replied as politely as I could, even though I had a sea of answers I could've shot at her.

'Ki yi Hakuri' my mother used to say to me every time I would complain about my husband's vile family 'they are your family too' she would always tell me.
But it didn't feel like it to me, not one bit.

"Ba kyau dai barin baki da yunwa" (It's not good to leave your guests hungry) she said condescendingly and walked out.
I worked as fast as I could and got the food ready. I served my guests and quickly retired to my bedroom for a bit of peace and quiet before my husband could come home and save me from all their snarky comments and indirect insults; they usually didn't do any of it when he was around.
Right on time, like clockwork, Saleh came home.
He knocked on our bedroom door before he walked in.

"Welcome home!" I exclaimed; I couldn't have been happier to see him.
I hugged him, but he just brushed me off. It was a bit odd, he had always welcomed my hugs and kisses when he came home from work; one time we even had a fight because I was cooking and didn't welcome him like I us